1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cedar Point = Walley World?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Cedar Point Amusement Park, one of the country's best, shut down for the weekend because of a water main break in nearby Sandusky, Ohio. The sad/funny part is, no one bothered to get the word out, so people still started showing up on Saturday.
    No word on whether someone broke in and forced the security guards to go on an all-day ride binge.

http://news.yahoo.com/water-main-break-closes-cedar-point-amusement-park-143908866.html

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Oh, I suspect word got out in some fashion. But there's no reason to think someone hundreds of miles away would hear it on their local news. Nor would they have any reason to go to the amusement park website (which likely had all this information).

When mountain parks are closed 2.5 hours from me, the only way I know of it is to click on the "current conditions" link on the park website.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The word was getting out. It happened Saturday morning.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"First ones here."

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The moose out front should've told them.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Actually, the park was already open the water main break shut them down. Maybe the shouldn't have opened, but who knows what estimates were on when the break would be fixed.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

"Sorry folks, the parks closed. Moose out front should have told you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVpSBKzQYo

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Cedar Point is a big enough park that its closing would be newsworthy through most of the region.
    do a news google search and you can find many, many news outlets in Ohio, Michigan and Indiana picking the story up. The issue is the timing. From the Register. . . .

Once the park closed, those folks coming from hours away had already hit the road.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I guess they weren't whistling Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah out of their assholes.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

And more good news from Cedar Point: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/cedar-point/5746146

Of the 16 employees, 13 are from Michigan and three from Ohio.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'd rather just keep pretending these folks are Rhodes Scholars so when they're checking my shoulder restraint before sending me rocketing 300 feet into the air at 170 miles per hour I don't have a panic attack.

Draft saved Draft deleted