1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CDL Anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Jul 16, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nah ... the neer-do-well son of an acquaintance recently moved up there (to Minot) and he'd be my supervisor. And that, my friends, would be the end of this old cowboy.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think it's a couple of grand to take the test. My brother needed one (he works for Catepillar) and the cost was totally covered by the union.

You can also make some serious cash if you get your haz-mat license (which is also a bit more training and more $$ to take).

There are also trucking jobs where you are strictly regional, driving no more than a few hours in any direction and are back home at the end of the day. Not sure how plentiful those jobs are at this time, given the economy and such.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Those regional jobs pay like crap from what my truck driving brother-in-law says. The only runs he tries to avoid are into New York City because of the tolls.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The guy that works part time for me is a full time firefighter.

He drives a fire engine. He used to work part time for a party rental company driving a truck as well, delivering tables, chairs, etc. for weddings, and large events.

It was a union job, and paid well. The company he worked for has several full time drivers, but the seasonality of it requires several part-timers as well.

It does seem like the kind of job that you could do part time. There's also overtime available because you're often picking up the tables and chairs late at night, after the event.

It's probably not a bad idea to look into it for some folks.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This. And if you have your summers off, you could follow the natural disasters around. Lots of money to be made for someone with a haz mat tag during situations like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted