1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CDL Anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Jul 16, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Has anyone on the board looked into getting a CDL? I am thinking of getting my CDL for two reasons: 1) I think it might be an OK way to pick up some supplemental income now and then; and 2) just for the hell of it. Anyone have any idea on how much it costs (i.e., "school" plus practice/testing vehicle rental)?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Before I would consider it, I would need to know what a CDL is first.

3. doctorquant

CDL = Commercial Driver's License

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Are you talking a CDL to drive school buses or a CDL to drive the 18 and 36 wheel rigs?
    Big difference in what type of driving you're looking to do with a CDL.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's a rich 1 percenter like you need supplemental income for? Give someone else a chance, would you.

6. I actually had my class 2 license at one time (drove dump trucks working construction during college). When they changed it to CDL I never bothered to get it renewed. Kinda wish I did. One of those things that is just nice to have in your back pocket (literally).

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you ever run for office it will be good to show your hard scrabble blue collar side.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think the bastard's is trying to tell he was dump-trucked in college.

9. doctorquant

Definitely NOT school buses ... tour buses, maybe.

10. doctorquant

LOL ... I'm getting close to getting my financial house in order that I don't have to teach summer school. I'd like to do something, though, and I thought maybe doing a bit of tour bus driving might be fun. Alternatively, ever since I was a kid I've wanted to work in a hardware store. Maybe I could score a part-time gig down at the Ace!

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can move to North Dakota and drive a water tanker.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Anyone who was in Cleveland for the outing, or really who has ever been in a car with me, knows I can barely handle a commuter vehicle.

They'd never let me drive anything larger.

Draft saved Draft deleted