1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CDC: 42 percent of Americans obese by 2030

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 7, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Lean protein is probably the most filling. So if you're looking for a snack between meals, fat free yogurt, hard boiled eggs, edamame, hummus (pair with a baked whole wheat cracker, stick to the serving size), even turkey rollups (one of my favorites) are all solid options.

Instead of drinking soda, drink a small glass of fat free milk (it will have some carbs, but far less than soda, and it has protein). It will also curb your appetite.

I occasionally eat protein bars, but you really have to read the labels. A lot of them are no better for you than a Snickers.

At meals, including a broth-based soup will help you feel more full without having to devour massive amounts of fatty foods. If you're having a salad, load it up with plenty of "heavier" vegetables such as tomatoes or cucumbers. You can eat as much of it as you want without ingesting a lot of extra calories.

Eat more slowly. It takes about 20-30 mins for your brain to register that your stomach is full. Eating slower gives your stomach more time to send the signals to your brain. That's one reason that eating with your family or other people helps keep you from overeating. You tend to talk at the dinner table and naturally eat slower.

Drink lots of water. It expands your stomach to keep hunger at bay and keeps you hydrated.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I will just add this: Cut back on carbs across the board, especially refined flour.

Much of what we feel as hunger is actually blood sugar plummeting.

I know it goes against what a lot of people were taught their whole lives, but you're much better off with eggs and bacon for breakfast. Or for any meal, really -- so long as you get in lots of vegetables, too.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Isn't the milk in a bowl of Cheerios a significant protein source?

I usually have a bagel for breakfast. Nine grams of protein. My problem is that I get up and eat breakfast so early that I'm hungry early no matter what I eat.

I used to drink protein shakes, but those give me horrendous stomach cramps and other digestive issues that can last for days. Which is unfortunate.

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Think I make for quick breakfast ahead of time.

Get a muffin tin, grease it, and line the holes with lean Canadian bacon (if you're low- or no-carbing it, make sure it doesn't have sugar added). Par bake the meat for 8 minutes or so at 375. Pull them out and crank the oven up. Crack an egg into each hole and pop back in the oven. Saute some spinach or cook off some asparagus or other green veggie. When the eggs are almost finished, pull them out, top with salt, pepper, veggies and maybe a little cheese.

You can grab one of those on your way out the door or you can fancy them up on a plate with sliced tomatoes and a sauce. Lots of protein.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Your point is well-taken, but I wouldn't read too much into the time logged in. I know that I, at least, will have it up and logged in even if I'm not actively reading or posting. And when I do post or check in, it's usually to take a quick mental break from what I'm doing at a desk or something like that. Or while watching a game while my wife puts the little one to bed.

That said, yeah, some of us could stand to walk away from here a little more. From the Internet in general, actually. Big-time time suck.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I should just get one of those omelet makers you can pop in the microwave, and load it up with veggies as I love to put mushrooms and bell peppers in my omelets. Besides lower cholesterol, any other health benefits by using egg whites?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not really. There isn't enough of it, and others may know more about this but I recall reading that protein from liquids doesn't absorb as well. (Milk would be a ton better than the protein-additive drinks out there, but still not as good as food.) The amount of protein we're talking about needing is like two egg whites' worth.

Whenever I'm really trying to lose weight -- which I am now -- one of the keys is to eat as much as I possibly can for breakfast. Usually it's something like two eggs, a banana, and yogurt or cereal.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

With all these tips the CDC might have to revise its report.

Draft saved Draft deleted