1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CDC: 42 percent of Americans obese by 2030

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 7, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The problem is that "Silent Spring" has created basically institutional knowledge in our society, passed down now from generation to generation, that chemicals are bad. No. Certain chemicals are bad.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

But which?

3. Dick Whitman

I get that it can be a prophylactic measure to ensure that no bad chemicals get into your food. That's fair enough. As long as one says that's what they're doing: "I don't want to take the time to figure it out, so I'm just banishing all of them." It's essentially a personal cost-benefit analysis. But that's different than, "I think that all chemicals are bad. They just have to be. They're chemicals."

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Who among end-users really has the time or temperament to suss out which chemicals were used in what concentration on which of the vegetables we're about to mash up to feed the baby?

Which were irradiated? Which were genetically modified?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The bad ones.

6. Dick Whitman

I'll answer your question with a question: Who has the money to pay for organic food when a certain amount of time invested into researching the chemicals would have revealed their safety?

Like I said, it's a personal cost-benefit analysis.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Easiest for most folks to just default to the 'organic' thing, even if that designation doesn't mean much.

As Zeke points out, locally sourced essentials will have been tampered with much less.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But how would you trace any individual tomato back to the farm? Or squash? Or cauliflower? Or know which pesticide or herbicide was used at what point in its growth?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not for nothing, but you you seem to think you know me, and you really don't. I recall you posting some assumptions about me once before that were all wrong -- for example, an assumption that I was a Republican (never have been) and single (I am not). At least if you were talking about me, and it was evident in that post that you were. I kind of just chuckled and didn't respond.

What you got wrong this time: 1) I own my home. I don't do yard work, but I have an herb garden in our back yard and flowers I tend on our roof deck. I also do volunteer work every week that most people don't. 2) I don't work from home. Poor guess. 3) I commute, and with my trip to the gym (or a run outdoors) before the sun rises, and the fact that I do most of it on foot or bike, I spend a great deal of time getting around. 4) I have no kids or pets (why pets would relate to what I posted, I don't know, but whatever), but a partner who has her own schedule that doesn't always conform to mine. We still manage to do what I said.

My life gets hectic. You don't own the copyright on that. Sorry. I make a concerted effort to cook and follow the guidelines I posted, and we make a strong effort to share meals. If you prioritize your life in a way that you choose not to do those things, that is your choice. But don't make assumptions about my life, or how much more full yours is than mine, which is what makes it "easy" for me, but not you.

10. The Big Ragu

Locally sourced also is just plain fresher.

We laugh at certain places when they have fruit from half way around the world for sale; fresh green beans or broccoli from Africa or asparagus or fruit from South America, which has been air-freighted over -- even though those things grow just fine much closer. In order to get that stuff on the shelf, the travel time alone ensures that you are losing freshness -- which costs you nutrients. It can take a week to as much as 10 days before you even find that fresh produce on the shelf. But then there is the fact that they heat treat, part freeze and treat those fruits and veggies industrially or with chemicals in order to endure being shipped halfway around the world.

If you are going to buy "fresh" green beans that flew half way around the world, you are actually better off buying frozen veggies. At least those were picked and quick frozen, which retains the nutrients better.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Married men with homes (with actual grass that needs mowed), wives, pets (yes they require your time and attention) and children "chuckle"at your hectic life.

And for God's sake I hope you don't call your self a Democrat.

12. The Big Ragu

You chuckle at someone you don't know, don't have a clue about, and continually make wrong assumptions about (and continued to in that last post).

That actually sums up the entirety of your silly posting history on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted