1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CDC: 42 percent of Americans obese by 2030

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 7, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who is constructively interested in this ... I'd enthusiastically recommend Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Food," just as an interesting read and primer.

If you don't want to, I'll point out a few things. He boils down his advice to three simple phrases, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

If you do that, you can't go wrong. It has worked for millions of years before we went off the rails with food science trying to fix what wasn't broke.

Mind you, though, his definition of food is going to differ from what most people on here have been conditioned to consider as food. He distinguishes between food (what people have eaten for millions of years) and man-made edible-like substances that have created so much harm.

The book is mostly NOT eating advice. It more covers how we have gone astray. But he does have one part where he gives seven rules for eating, which I think are great and have ingrained in myself. They are really just common sense.

1) Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. "When you pick up that box of portable yogurt tubes, or eat something with 15 ingredients you can't pronounce, ask yourself, "What are those things doing there?" Pollan says.

2) Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can't pronounce.

3) Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter of the store. Real food tends to be on the outer edge of the store near the loading docks, where it can be replaced with fresh foods when it goes bad.

4) Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot. "There are exceptions -- honey -- but as a rule, things like Twinkies that never go bad aren't food," Pollan says.

5) It is not just what you eat but how you eat. "Always leave the table a little hungry," Pollan says. "Many cultures have rules that you stop eating before you are full. In Japan, they say eat until you are four-fifths full. Islamic culture has a similar rule, and in German culture they say, 'Tie off the sack before it's full.'"

6) Families traditionally ate together, around a table and not a TV, at regular meal times. It's a good tradition. Enjoy meals with the people you love. "Remember when eating between meals felt wrong?" Pollan asks.

7) Don't buy food where you buy your gasoline. In the U.S., 20% of food is eaten in the car.

I ate fairly well, but thinking more the way that list tries to get you to think, along with adopting my girlfriend's attitudes toward food, has made a nice change in my life. She grew up in a different culture. They raised and grew a lot of their own food. And she really ENJOYS food. Real food. Different tastes, natural foods, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, fresh cheeses and meals prepared with good ingredients that combine things in great ways.

One change that has made a huge difference which she brought to me as I was reading that book was number 6 (enjoying meals together). I know people will say they are busy and it is hard to arrange the family dinner. And maybe it is easier for us because it is just us two -- without kids with lots of activities. But we both live active lives and still find a way to eat 85 percent of our meals together. We cook for at least four days of the week during the weekend so we have meals with good stuff in them ready to go for lunch and dinner. Just have to heat them up. On another day or two, we will do something quick and easy. Like last night I steamed some rice and stir fried some bok choy with garlic and olive oil to throw over it. Some home-made bread. A couple of cheeses. An apple for desert. It was not our best meal ever, but I can feel good eating that way.

We set the table or to the roof deck with a beer most nights, or a bottle of wine occasionally, and we really enjoy the meals -- take our time. We have greens -- different types -- with every meal. We do one killer meal each weekend -- where we cook for each other or cook together, and we use ingredients that follow the guidelines above. I make fajitas, for example, and rather than buying store-bought tortillas with ingredients in them that I can't pronounce, I now make the tortillas from scratch using simple Masa corn flour. It's surprisingly easy and fun -- I bought a tortilla press.

I make my own bread each week -- it tastes better and it is what bread should be (flour, water, yeast, salt). I experiment with different types -- partial whole wheats, oat bran flour, and I can throw all kinds of grains and sunflower seeds in. Along the lines of number 1 above, Pollan points out it can be tricky. Your great grandmother might walk down the supermarket aisle today and think she recognizes the bread, but if you look at the label, it will have 10 ingredients that have no place in bread -- as she knew it. So you shouldn't be buying that bread. Which is why I feel good just making it myself -- it's not that hard.

Anyhow, I know that is going to sound dramatic to most people on here, but it's a matter of choices. I have some flexibility in my life, which definitely makes it easier, but it's a priority that I think makes me feel better and enjoy life more.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Love that book, Ragu.

Processed shit is the biggest culprit.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I blame media meals.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's a damn good point.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How much more expensive are the items on the perimeter of the store than the middle?

7. 93Devil

No kids. I am guessing live in an apartment and do not do yard work or clean your own house. Probably do not have a pet, and works from home.

All those points you made that the book says are great and we all should try and follow them as much as possible, but have a kid, get a pet, own a house and commute to work and see if you are still pulling off the home cooked bok choi meals.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Depends on where you live, but in my experience it's a lot cheaper.

If you want to eat super-healthy organic blah blah blah, then it's more expensive. But if you are just buying simple, fresh foods and doing some cooking, it's a lot cheaper.

9. 93Devil

Grilling is also a very easy, fast way to avoid the processed food aisle.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's no harder to stir-fry or steam a chicken/vegetable dish than it is to make Hamburger Helper.

It's more expensive, certainly, but no more time consuming.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Grilling is definitely my route, as someone with kids, a front and back yard, a commute, and two dogs. I guess the downfall is probably that I put processed BBQ sauce on the chicken, but if that's my worst vice, so be it.

Someone mentioned beer. I suspect that's a killer. I barely drank for two or three years, but in the last few months, I'd been having the occasional two or three craft beers, mostly because my brother had gotten into home brewing. Just kind of fell into it a couple times a week at home, but I made a conscious decision late last week to abstain as much as possible again. It kills because not only are there calories - probably 150 per bottle in the good stuff - but the alcohol halts your metabolism for the time being until your body metabolizes the alcohol. So that 150 really is the equivalent of a lot more.

My wife said, "Your stomach looked its best when you weren't drinking any beer at all." I had to admit she was right. Hopefully abstaining, combined with evolving healthy eating choices and the most dedicated weight-lifting program I've ever been on, will finally kick out the last couple inches and 10 pounds or so for good.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think people would be amazed to find that it's really not that much more expensive, if at all. I mean, if you're trying to pinch pennies, you can always buy frozen stir-fry veggies. Not AS good as fresh stuff (which also isn't that much), but still better than Hamburger Helper.

What it takes is effort and planning, which I still struggle with. I like doing a stir-fry with the prepackaged kits (because I won't buy some of the stuff on its own, but will if it's in a pack). But because I live on my own, I end up splitting them in half. And if I don't use them within two or three days, they go bad. So when I'm buying my groceries on Saturday, I have to have an idea of what I'm making that day, Sunday, Monday, etc.

But then I find it's not that difficult to build in a flexible item or two that can be subbed in or out at short notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted