1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CDC: 42 percent of Americans obese by 2030

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 7, 2012.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Reached for comment:

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about poor people. It just takes some willpower to make some money.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've talked about this quite often on the fitness threads. Those last few pounds of fat can be an absolute MF'er. I told my wife the other day that with as frequently and intensely as I work out, I should like like a Men's Health cover model.

I don't.

It's tough because I want to lose the fat, but I want to gain muscle, as well, and I think you pretty much have to eat very, very clean to do both simultaneously.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Are you suggesting that the main way to combat obesity in this country is not to eat better and exercise more? What, besides desire and willpower, do you need to eat less and exercise more?

I am sure there are a lot of poor people that don't have access to quality foods, but I see a hell of a lot of old, rich, white people that are severely overweight, too.

5. RickStain

What, besides willpower and desire, do you need to work harder and make more money?

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'm not sure, what else does one need?

7. RickStain

Why did you answer my question with a question?

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'm Ron Burgundy?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, to make money, in the sense of life-changing money, one needs desire, almost surely, and perhaps a bit of willpower. One also needs skills in a profession that pays life-changing money, one needs to win out over other people with their skill-set. And a whole bunch of other factors that make the analogy with weight loss manifest fail.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There should be plenty of people around here to speak to the shared experiences of being fat AND poor.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll try to speak for RickStain, because I think I know what he's getting at:

For both, willpower and desire is theoretically enough. However, you have to know exactly how to apply your willpower and desire. If you aren't educated - not as in formally, but as in what tools you need - then you'll never get rich, or lose weight.

Example: At some point in my teens, I had heard that you should eat a lot of carbs and not much fat. So I'd shovel down pasta. I actually thought that this was a health choice. And not even in moderation. I, in total good faith, didn't know any better.

Draft saved Draft deleted