1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CC Sabathia: UPDATED: ruling upheld

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Aug 31, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: CC Sabathia: no-no or no?

Sure ... if he makes a strong throw. If he makes a weak throw like he did on that bare-hand play earlier, then the play is bang-bang at best and a hit at worst. And still no error.

I think there's no guarantee that he makes a strong throw. He's moving away from the play, he's already a good distance away from first base as it is, the runner's building momentum down the line (yes, he was only about halfway when Sabathia first encountered the ball, but he's at least at 60 feet by the time Sabathia gets in position to throw and at least 70 by the time Sabathia releases the ball.)

Again, making that play all hinges on a strong pivot and a strong throw. Even if he fields it cleanly, there's no guarantee that Sabathia makes all those other critical actions in time to get La Roche. Not a good play, but not a "routine" play, by any means.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

just saw it on "sportscenter." i have zero problem with it being ruled a hit, first of all. woulda been a sweet play if c.c. made it.

yost should just stfu. it happened in the fifth inning. all the pressure was off c.c. from that point on. a huge part of no-hit lore is the mounting pressure as the game goes on. c.c. didn't have to pitch through that in the eighth or ninth inning.

if the game was in milwaukee and it had been ruled an error, who knows if c.c. finishes it up as a no-no? and if he does, aren't folks calling it "tainted" for the home scoring?

i prefer my no-hitters to be clean, thanks.

3. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Ordinary effort. It's right there in the rule book.

Maybe if he fields that he does throw him out by two steps. But for a lefty to field, turn and throw requires more than ordinary effort.

I'll say it again. Hit.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You can't possibly be making this decision based on the fact that he made a soft throw to first to double up a runner who was 45 feet from the base and running toward second. He made a soft toss on that play because there was no reason to do anything else.

Again, he muffed the throw because he was already making his pivot toward first and looked up before the ball got into his hand.

So I guess by that standard, a ball that hits a receiver in the numbers but is dropped because he looked up to run before he caught it would have been a tough catch because it's difficult to look the ball in.

Again, if he fields it, he throws him out by two steps. No "extraordinary effort" required at all unless we've now decided that pitchers can only throw accurately to the plate and everything else is a crapshoot. Out by two steps is out by two steps. And a ball bobbled when you would have thrown a guy out by two steps is an error.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So, then, the big-ass Twin-killing bastard should have fielded the fucking ball, made the fucking play and finished his fucking no hitter.

He didn't, the scorer said hit, that's certainly within -- nay, the motherfucking definition -- of his purview.

So that's the fucking way it fucking is.

Fuck.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're not going to get a strong, accurate throw -- at least not like it's going from the mound to the plate -- from a pitcher on the third-base side of the mound. You can't assume he can spin, plant and fire in time to get the runner.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Why should the Pirates save face? They're so ugly even their mothers would disown them.

8. Re: CC Sabathia: no-no or no?

Hit ...

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh yeah? To all of those who think it's a hit, ESPN Sportsnation just said it was an error by a 66-34 margin. Never has there ever been such a learned group as ESPN Sportsnation.

I thought it was an error, but I'm hardly militant enough on it to start an argument. I can see both sides.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Did you happen to catch the audio with the Pirates announcer saying, "All he had to do was pick it up, turn and throw"?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

No becuase what the Pirates announcers think doesn't matter.

Get over it. CC already has.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This play happened in the fifth inning, it's not like they avoided a no-hitter in the eighth or ninth.

Draft saved Draft deleted