1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CC Sabathia: UPDATED: ruling upheld

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Aug 31, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: CC Sabathia: no-no or no?

Yeah, Simon. You and I agree on this issue...HIT.
    Having you agree with me makes me even more cranky.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Same story says:

Maybe Sabathia felt he could make a play as he did the inning before, when he caught Nate McLouth’s line drive up the middle with the palm of his right hand and flipped the ball to first to turn a double play.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Loud and clear on that one!

4. Simon_Cowbell

Are you saying that the writer made an error, too?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I just saw the play three more times. If the official scorer said it was spinning, then he was lying his ass off to cover his ass. Just watch the play -- apparently it will be the first time for you -- and you'll see that anyone saying it was a spinning ball is a liar.

There was nothing tricky about the ball that made fielding it a problem, and if he fields it he throws him out. No two ways about it. I also just heard a replay of the radio audio. bob Uecker says "if he picks it up, he throws him out easily." I think I'll take a Hall of Fame broadcaster's opinion over your's and an official scorer trying to cover his ass.

And the runner was nowhere near "well down the line" as the liar states. Unless 40 feet is "well down" a 90-foot line.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Halfway down the line, when CC first touches the ball.... and "well" enough down the line considering he had to collect the ball, itself not an easy act for a 6-9 guy, turn a full 180 degrees and fire to have a chance.

Hit.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think this is just the Pirates trying to save face.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have watched the play on MLB four times (which means 12 trimes since there are 3 angles). It's been a hit in my judgment every time...for all the reasons Simon just stated (damn, I'm agreeing with him again!)

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hit.

Not an easy play for a lefty, although Sabathia would have had a play on him if he makes a strong throw. No guarantee of that, either. Not an automatic out, by any means.

Sabathia has to do everything right -- and quickly -- to make that play. No guarantee that he does even if he fields it cleanly, therefore ... hit.

It's a hit if the third baseman is charging in on it, too.

10. Simon_Cowbell

I'm gonna hang as long as I can, here on Agreement Island.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sorry, Buck, but if he fields it he throws him out by at least a full step, probably two steps. And there was no reason to not field it other than ... an error.

12. Simon_Cowbell

You just think everything is easy, don't you?

Draft saved Draft deleted