1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CC Sabathia: UPDATED: ruling upheld

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: CC Sabathia: no-no or no?

I still haven't seen it. I'm going to go to mlb.com right now to check it out.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If he uses his glove, he has to fully spin his body before setting and throwing.

Hit.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

The more I looked at it on MLB.com the more I'm convinced it's a hit.

And there is NOTHING is baseball rules that allows anyone other than the official scorer to change the call. And that ain't happening...despite what Ned Yost might think.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Is this how he wants his no-hitter anyway? I mean, what does it really matter?

Also, hit. It would have taken a helluva throw to beat the runner.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Well, uh, no.

This would be a pretty stupid thread title, too.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

CC already said it doesn't matter to him. Yost is the jackass making the fuss about it.

7. Re: CC Sabathia: no-no or no?

If Sabathia fields the ball with his glove and calmly turns around to find his target, it is an easy out. The problem I have is Sabathia made it seem like a difficult play by using his hand and immediately stopping after he dropped the ball. LaRoche was half-way down the line, if he picks up the ball, he still has a shot.

He doesn't deserve the no-hitter just based on his own stupidity for fielding the ball with his bare hand and giving up on the play.

Pirates are about to be 16 years of futility with an official scorer controversy and Scott Boras using the team as a loophole to get Pedro Alvarez more money. What a great season this franchise has had with the 15 that preceded it.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yost is just trying to score some points with his players at the expense of an anonymous official scorer.

9. Bubbler

I turned off every fanboy fiber in my brain when I watched it. My first reaction?

Error.

If he doesn't drop it, he has a chance to make that play. LaRoche might have beaten a throw, but it wasn't cut-and-dried.

The Brewers did the right thing by appealing, but Yost did the wrong thing by throwing a fit. MLB might hesitate to overrule it if for no other reason than they don't want managers running herd over scoring decisions, etc. And like I said on the baseball thread, the last thing the Brewers need is to get distracted by something that, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't matter as far as their playoff hopes are concerned. Things are going well, don't rock the fucking boat.

What this does bring to light is the ridiculous inconsistency in baseball scoring. No other sport is scored in such a fanboyish way than baseball is. Scoring decisions in baseball are akin to star calls in the NBA. To wit, I wonder how many errors Ozzie Smith got in St. Louis?

MLB should hire the scorers, evaluate them, and hold them to a pre-ordained standard. If they want to give me decent lucre, I'll go be Milwaukee's official scorer right now.

10. Bubbler

I'm not so sure, Spnited. How many times have you heard of an earned run being changed to an unearned run a day later? I know the Cubs did that once or twice, either early in the Piniella regime or late in the Baker days. Scoring changes do happen after the fact.

Granted, I don't think a no-hitter has been on the line on any of them, but it has happened.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Scoring changes do happen but they MUST be made by the official scorer. MLB can do nothing to overturn a scoring decision.

Under MLB rules, the official scorer is the only person that may change a judgment call within 24 hours of a game's conclusion. The league, after considering the evidence submitted by the Brewers, may request that the official scorer change a judgment call, but cannot force the scorer to change his ruling.

Only if the call is deemed "erroneous" may the league order a change in a judgment call.

There was nothing "erroneous" abut this because it is a judgment call, not a rule book decision or interpretation.

12. Bubbler

Perhaps they can't officially. But they can unofficially ... if you get my drift.

For example, they can let it be known they'll never hire that scorer to work another game again.

Scorer sees religion, comes around to MLB's line of thinking, and, voila!, scoring change is made.

I could totally see that happening here.

Draft saved Draft deleted