1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CC Sabathia: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cjericho, Apr 29, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I typed CC Sabathia

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Why didn't you type "Calorie Counter Sabathia"?

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've put on a good bit of weight over the past two years, and as a Rotund American I am hurt and angered by the tone of this thread.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

In related news, here's a nasty pitch ...

[​IMG]

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I recognize the pizza, pasta and cinnamon rolls.
    I'm having a hard time identifying that third pic.

7. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Would his admission that he was an alcoholic in '13-'14-'15 (his worst three seasons) help him or hurt him with voters?

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Would think it would help that he has rebounded. Mickey Mantle was an icon and idol when he played and as a husband and father I think he's a lot worse than CC.
    Know someone who works at his kids' school and he is considered a real good father and a nice guy. There's professional athletes who haven't seen their kids in years, he's
    pretty much at all his kids basketball games in the winter.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is similar to the question I posted once upon a time in a hypothetical Josh Hamilton HOF thread, but it got locked on the first page.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But Mantle was a no-doubt HOFer. I think the question with CC is whether, as a fringe candidate, you grade him a curve for those years. And what curve?

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A bender.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  12. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

If I were going to poke holes in Sabathia's HOF candidacy, I'd point out that three times ('03, '04, '12) he was an All-Star, then received zero Cy Young votes at the end of the season. That suggests a first-half pitcher who tired out as the season went on (which could be pinned on his body type).
    On the other hand, in most of the years of his prime ('07-'11), he was as good or better a pitcher in the second half.

Draft saved Draft deleted