1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBSSports.com: Jim Calhoun taking medical leave of absence

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 19, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who will go to the press conference and ask if he plans to pay a larger deductible toward his health care than required in order to help out the state?

2. Crash

Crash Active Member

The Door was unavailable for comment.

3. The Hartford Courant just put its entire sports staff on the story. And he'll get right on it after he gets out of the bathroom.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

PICTURES ARE EVERYTHING!!!ONE!! [/crossthread] :)

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How the hell can you tell?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

He is going to die on the sideline. He gets crazier by the year, doesn't seem to be the type to delegate responsibility as he gets older (I could be wrong, but that's my impression) and, it cannot be said enough, gets crazier by the year. He used to be just pleasantly off-kilter. Now he's full-on psychotic.

He also looks terrible in recent years. He used to be fairly heavy--not fat, but he had some meat on the bones. Now he looks emaciated. I'm sure part (or all) of it is due to fighting cancer multiple times, but he just looks terrible.

I hope the time off is good for him, but what he needs is to retire.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He's 67 and he's accomplished everything a coach could possibly dream of. Go enjoy the rest of your years, Jim.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

VCU's trip to Philly for the NCAA tournament was my last function at the school. At a pre-tournament meeting, I was seated right across from Calhoun. BYH is right. He didn't look well then (didn't he take a game off or something)? Guy has had one hell of a career. Yeah, he needs to get out and enjoy.
    Not sure that's possible, though, for a lot of successful coaches. Something about the wiring that makes them successful doesn't allow them to really "get away and relax."

I never dealt with him full time, can't claim to know him. But every time I've dealt with him, he's been great.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree. It's time for Calhoun to walk away. I say that as someone who genuinely likes the guy and who was there when he took over from Dom Perno in '84 and through his early years. Dude built UConn hoops from a lazy little Yankee Conference program at Storrs Fieldhouse to a perennial national power. I don't want to see him keel over on the sideline.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Translation: Sex rehab.

Draft saved Draft deleted