1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS: 'Winning!'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I thought this was an interesting article. It doesn't mention what I think is still a gem among TV news shows in 60 Minutes, or how Scott Pelley has been a great fit on the nightly news, but I think those two things fit well into the story's theme.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastard-machine/unsexy-domination-cbs-219533

2. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I thought this was about CBS and its post-Sheen Two and a Half Men lineup. In these tough economic times, it is heartening to see a solid chap like Sheen land on his feet again with a new network gig...........

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The biggest strength CBS has is....it's strength. They can cut loose a show that is doing pretty well if it makes more sense to bring in a new show that is cheaper. They've shown that no one show or actor is crucial to their success, keeping production costs down.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I find it more sad than anything.

A network gives viewers The Office, Parks and Rec, Community, Friday Night Lights and the best news anchor working in Brian Williams and is a failure.

The other reheats the same tired recipe in a can over and over again and is king.

You can't argue with success, but you can argue that network television won't survive much longer once this generation of older people passes.

Draft saved Draft deleted