1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS Sportsline to become CBSSports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Speedway

Speedway Member

From the morning business wire...I wonder if this will result in more editorial emphasis, i.e. more columnist hires, etc. Moreover, will the new branding ultimately help or hurt its success?

CBS SportsLine.com, the Fort Lauderdale-based Internet sports media service, has changed its name to CBSSports.com.

''The ability to bring unity to the CBS Sports brand across all media -- television, online and mobile -- is something we believe both audiences and advertisers will appreciate,'' Sean McManus, president of CBS Sports and News, said in a statement.

The change will be marked by increased on-site/on-air integration with CBS Sports, the company said. CBSSports.com is part of CBS Interactive.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I don't think it can be anything but good.
    The CBS Sports name is a lot more weighty than CBS Sportsline

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I don't think the change will have much of an impact, besides being less to type to get to site.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't ESPN.com used to be ESPNet.com?

5. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Even clunkier. ESPNet.SportsZone.com

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's right... I remember paying $2.95 an hour to access that shitty site back in 1996...

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sharp looking redesign today.

Sportsline's had about as many redesigns in the past seven years as ESPN.com has had this summer. Just one of many reasons why I almost never visit ESPN.com anymore.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Bully for you. I don't like the WWL's overbearing influence and all, but I feel at a disadvantage if I don't check in at ESPN.com a couple of times a day. Often don't care for the agendas they set, but they do set a lot of them.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

No need to be grumpy about it, Joe.

I prefer just to get my news without all the bullshit and bells and whistles.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That wasn't a sarcastic "Bully", BYH. I actually use that straight sometimes. And, for once, I wasn't being grumpy. I just feel a little like a hostage to ESPN's pervasiveness. If I had the stones, I'd skip 'em too and then, boy, wouldn't they miss me!

11. Babs

Babs Member

I've always thought "sportsline" had a betting connotation -- desired or not. Maybe they are trying to get away from that.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Seems like that move was going to happen ever since Viacom bought them out. Surprised it took this long. Wonder if this means Gary Parrish will replace Seth Davis on the NCAA tournament shows (wouldn't CBS want to promote its own website?).

Either way, doubt there will be too much difference other than cross-promotional fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted