1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS Sports Reinstates Luther Vandross’ “One Shining Moment”

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Now if they could just bring back the Golden Street Prelude... :) CBS Sports is reinstating the Luther Vandross version of “One Shining Moment” at the conclusion of the network’s NCAA Tournament coverage next Monday night. Last season featured Jennifer Hudson, which wasn’t exactly a hit with college basketball fans.

“Both versions are great. She (Hudson) did a great job,” said Harold Bryant, CBS Sports’ vice president for production. “We just felt like we wanted to go back to Luther.”

CBS Sports’ creative director Doug Towey suggested using the song in 1987. Since then, the network has used four versions: David Barrett (1987-93), Teddy Pendergrass (1994-99), Vandross (2003-09) and Hudson (2010).

http://www.mediabistro.com/sportsnewser/cbs-sports-reinstates-luther-vandross-one-shining-moment_b7203#

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Snooze music no matter who sings it.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I know its pure cornball, but I liked the old Golden Street Prelude piano solo to begin the segment with the dramatic closeups of the losers and winners

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Most overrated segment of a televised sporting event ever.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I want Teddy's version back!

6. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

+1

7. Starman

Barry Manilow sounds like Robert Plant compared to any version of this schlock-bucket.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Yeah, if your school never wins...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I always liked Barrett's version, even if the whole segment is Nantz-like vanilla....

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

The Barrett version is by far the best. Not even close.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The Barrett version makes me want to murder a hobo. And slappy.

12. Starman

Draft saved Draft deleted