1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS News vs Wound Warriors Project

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 28, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's one thing if you are using 40 percent of 1 million ($400k) in donations on non-program overhead. Quite another if that's $4 mil of $10 million in revenue.

2. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Don't be silly, of course they should ask for an additional contribution from their donors. However they shouldn't start soliciting me for an additional donation immediately after I sent them one and then continue to bombard me with mail every two weeks asking for more money. I received another in yesterday's mail. It's like clockwork, every two weeks a letter from the WWP asking for more. In the 8 months since my $50 donation, they've probably spent at least half of it trying to solicit more money from me. Soliciting me for an additional contribution two, three or four times a year would be acceptable. Not every two weeks. I was planning to send an additional $50 donation on the one year anniversary of his death. Now that $50 donation will go to another organization (Fisher House) instead of the Wounded Warrior Project. Fisher House provides lodging to wounded/injured/sick military and veterans' families while the active military/veterans are hospitalized. I've contributed to them before and they do ask for an additional donation but do so every three or four months.

Fisher House Foundation

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Write RETURN TO SENDER on the unopened envelopes and put 'em back in the mail. That might get you off the mailing list.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What I do to get rid of these mailings and phone calls is essentially respond with this, "If you keep badgering me, I will never donate to you again." That works.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Fisher House gets four stars from Charity Navigator and uses 91 percent of its donations to actually do good works.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not a well-written story here, but good info -- WWP is suing two veterans who are former employees, one because she showed her severance agreement to another charity that is also being sued by WWP, the other because a donor withdrew a $2,400 donation after finding out the veteran had been fired.

What's more, when News4Jax asked the non-profit how many former employees it had sued, it answered "one."

When asked how many warriors they had sued, the answer was "zero."

Wounded Warrior Project suing 2 injured veterans

7. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

The CEO of Wounded Warrior Project is all for "philanthropies having king-sized fundraising costs and huge salaries for executives" and sells their donors' personal info to third parties:

‘Wounded Warrior’ Charity Fights—To Get Rich

Also, WWP breakdown of expenses: 59.9% for Vets programs & services, 6% for administration costs and 34% fundraising.

Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project

While Fisher House Foundation's expenses are: 91% Vets programs & services, 6.5% administration costs and 2.4% fundraising.

Charity Navigator Rating - Fisher House Foundation

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted