1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS News vs Wound Warriors Project

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 28, 2016.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's a charity. Charities try to raise money. Are you saying they shouldn't solicit donors to contribute more money?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Some charities thank you for the gift. Others try to bludgeon you until you forget why you even sent the check in the first place. There's a big difference.

FWIW the worst of these I've ever encountered was the Natural Resources Defense Council. I bought the sob story about the salt mines off the Pacific coast of Mexico because I didn't want to see the whales die. I got shit from them for the next 10 years.

Ah, youth.

SpeedTchr and Tweener like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If anyone is looking for an interesting side plot, CBS is also televising the Super Bowl. The NFL has also raised money for Wounded Warriors Project. Can't imagine the league is too happy with their broadcast partner.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Baron, you're probably correct, but, you know, fuck what the NFL is happy about.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe CBS should focus on its attention on why our wounded veterans need charity and the government isn't giving them everything they need?

Trump doesn't like wound warriors, he likes the ones who don't get themselves blown up.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, I thought WWP's lousy fiscal habits was common knowledge.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Interesting that a CBS exec sits on their board and chairs the Audit Committee.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Bet that somehow does not make the coverage.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They aren't hiding from that. If that was what was guiding their news judgment, they would never have investigated in the first place.

Also, he's not just a "CBS executive." He is their "chief veteran officer." They created a whole position to ensure that CBS is doing all that it can to promote the well-being of veterans (language taken from his bio on their website).

And he isn't some random CBS executive who happens to sit on the board of the Wounded Warrior Project. He is a guy whose whole job relates to working with veterans organizations. From his bio: "He was appointed by Congress and serves on the Advisory Committee on Veterans’ Employment, Training and Employer Outreach (ACVETEO) at the U.S. Labor Department and U.S. Veterans Administration. In addition, he sits on the boards of the Wounded Warrior Project, The Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF) at Syracuse University, USJAG (The Uniformed Services Justice and Advocacy Group), the Easter Seals Dixon Center for Military and Veterans Community Services, the Aaron Grider Foundation and is an advisor to Veteran’s Advantage and ACT Today! (Autism Care & Treatment) for Military Families."

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I guess I'm showing my age if my response to that is "follow the money". It sounds like he is sincerely concerned to be involved in that many groups of that nature... but if so, I would hope that he has some response to questions about the WWP.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"You only write about us when we .misappropriate funds. "

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I read the NT Times article. When heads of nonprofits are firing people because they question free-spending and then being forced to sign nondisclosure agreements, that's a signal something's bad. The head of the nonprofit essentially running off its well-meaning founder is another.

A lavish "all hands" company meeting with 500 people in a resort town 1800 miles away from it home base isn't fiscally responsible.

Fund-raising nonprofits aren't Starbucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted