1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS News vs Wound Warriors Project

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 28, 2016.

1. CBS took the Wounded Warrior Project to task alleging it spends only about 60 percent of its intake on Warriors.
    The news program put together a blistering report.

Wound Warriors fired back ..
    This is going be bad for someone.
    Devastating for WWP if the claims are true.
    Really bad for CBS News if it inflated these claims and pulled another news reporting snafu. Heads should roll it that's the case. .... Though I'm inclined to believe CBS at this point.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the report, but it's been pretty well-known for years in the 501(c)(3) world that Wounded Warriors is a terribly administrated charity.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

990s are a great resource for investigating a charity you are considering giving money to. I am sure most people don't think about it -- they give emotionally. But this kind of thing is very common. Most charities suck and are not run well. Way more than not. It's simple to pull up a 990 if it is a legit tax-exempt charity, and you can tell a ton from it about where the money they raise goes. If you see a long list of "executives" making big salaries and a lot of money flowing out to outside consultants, and a lot of promotional expenses, etc., you can immediately get a feel for what percentage of what they raise actually goes toward whatever their mission is and how much gets gobbled up by BS. Most charities aren't run well. In some cases it is fraud and waste. But even when that isn't involved, there usually aren't enough incentives to run lean the way most people expect a charity to be. It's an accountability thing. Theoretically, they should have a board of directors that minds the store, but most of those boards are more window-dressing -- they look for big prominent names they can stick in their annual report, and in return they get very little oversight, which the managements love, because it gives them free reign to do whatever they want. They are often not acting like actual boards taking care of good governance. In some cases, charities are what that one appears to be. ... a lot of money wasted because there is no oversight. In many, it is a deal with the devil. They spend a lot trying to raise money -- including giving a cut to outside fundraisers who bring money in. They end up with more money for their charity, but the promotional expenses mean that as a donor, a hefty percentage of what you gave isn't actually going to the charity's mission.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

As someone who worked briefly for a military-affiliated 501(c)(3), the WWP was the devil incarnate to the founder/director of that nonprofit. Absolutely despised.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When people ask my opinion, I always try to discourage involvement with these folks, but they make great commercials.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Yes, they are very good at tugging heartstrings through crass manipulation.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Trump was making a show that he was going to raise money for WWP, among others, instead of doing the FOX debate. Wonder how he handles it? With tremendous tact and grace, we can only assume.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A couple of candidates in the junior varsity debate say they're joining Trump at the veterans event. If what's been linked here is true, this could be an epic shitshow.

11. Yeah, 60 percent sucks. Should be around 80 percent.
    According to the report, the money they didn't spend on the vets was used for lavish parties and extravagant expenses.

12. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

I had an acquaintance die suddenly last May and his family requested in lieu of flowers donations in his honor to the Wounded Warrior Project. I complied with their request and since then I've received mail solicitations from the WWP at least one every two weeks for additional donations.

Draft saved Draft deleted