1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS Interactive: Production Editor - Ft. Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GApplegate, Dec 5, 2011.

1. rogueveda

rogueveda New Member

I'd like to weigh in on this:

I was one of the five editors who left the company in the last year. I want to make it very clear that I left to pursue a job opportunity that I felt was the best choice for my career and life. Normally, I'd let this go but I don't appreciate being spoken for.

I worked at CBSSports.com for close to five years. In that time, I was given a lot of responsibility and the opportunity to vastly improve my skills. While the work was challenging and I often felt we could have had more people, I appreciated it in the long run. Craig Stanke is wise, veteran editor who anyone can learn from and Mark Swanson bent over backwards to give me chances previous bosses never did.

Let me stress this: I was never treated in an unfair manner. I left the company on excellent terms and I don't regret one second of my time there.

If you want to work hard and hone your skills, this job is for you. If you want to bitch and moan and act like a diva, go find something else to do.

Thanks!

2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Perhaps, in the past, this was a good place to work.

I've been assured by a half-dozen folks who work there or worked there until very recently that it has become dysfunctional. Check the turnover rate of the past, oh, six months.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

A description of "dysfunctional" is subjective and relative, and if a place is dysfunctional, it would not be much different than most places are, at least to some extent.

The thing to keep in mind with this job, and any job, for that matter, is that everyone has their own experiences and impressions, and must make their own decisions.

I have been out of this business recently but currently work for a company that everyone, it seems, thinks is "dysfunctional," and even downright bad. Yet, my personal experience has been nothing but good and positive, and frankly, the benefits I get here are better than those I've received anywhere else.

I interviewed for a job with CBS.com a few years ago, for a job I wanted very much. I didn't get an offer, but I still wish I had and I'd work here, for Mark Swanson and Craig Stanke, in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.

I've found that for whom I work is often more important to me than where I work or what I do, and anybody who considers this or any other job needs to figure out what's important to them, and use their own sense of things to make the best decision they can at the time.

Popular or unpopular opinion is not always the best way to go.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Did a phone interview a couple of years back. Also didn't get the call, but it was a very positive experience otherwise.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Being told this one is in the finalist stage. A great opportunity, no doubt.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted