1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS College Sports Editor,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Dec 16, 2010.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Job Status: Temporary

Job Title: Editor.
    Team: Operations.
    Sub-Team: Editorial Department.
    Supervisor: Manager, Editorial Operations.

Summary:
    CBS College Sports, a division of CBS Interactive, is the largest aggregation of online content, commerce
    and consumers focused on college athletics. Through its Official Athletic Sites (OAS), CBS College
    Sports provides online brand management, content delivery, consumer marketing, and business/
    commerce solutions to more than 200 university athletic departments, conferences and collegiate athletic
    organizations throughout the country.

Essential Duties:
    Primary responsibilities include updating OASs within an assigned group and providing general
    maintenance across the entire network. Duties include, but are not limited to, posting information provided
    by partner institutions, using wire copy and photos to update sites, monitoring live event audio and
    statistics, and constructing web pages with proprietary software, HTML and CSS. This is a six-month
    contract position.

Qualification Requirements:
    Avid sports fan

Copy editing/headline writing skills

Able to work some nights and holidays, and weekends

Excellent partner-facing communication skills, both oral and written

Very high-level of accuracy, keen attention to detail and problem solving capabilities

Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment to manage multiple projects and tight deadlines

HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience

Education and/or Experience:
    • Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field

• Collegiate sports information or journalism experience desired

E-mail: kathleen.lopez@cbsinteractive.com

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1220190

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Buried in the ad:

This is a six-month contract position.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love (read: hate) that the top qualification is being an avid sports fan.

Really, CBS?

4. Schottey

Schottey Guest

CBS is setting themselves up to fail with this one. Someone would have to be more desperate than qualified to move to CA for a 6-month stint. They'll end up with someone with family in the area or a local kid.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I would bet they already know who they're going to hire.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Aren't they all?

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Reminds me of a great Vin Scully line. He was talking about an injury to a player and said, "He's day to day ... aren't we all?"

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I dunno, IJAG...this one isn't my part of the company, but while the word "fan" kind of sets people off, don't you really need to be a fairly ardent follower of sports to do a job like this well, and at that point, isn't "fan" simply a word that describes that trait succinctly?

9. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

But shouldn't it kind of go without saying that you would be "a fairly ardent follower of sports" if you're looking for a job in this business? I mean, obviously none of us do it for the salary or the job security...

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, without outing myself any more than I already have, I made it through 20 months of a job a couple rungs under this at a national site and could not have cared less about sports in my free time. I knew what I needed to know to do my job, but I sure as hell didn't consider myself a "fan" and I sure didn't watch it if I wasn't getting paid.

Draft saved Draft deleted