1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS = bleacher report?? WTF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by golfnut8924, Dec 9, 2009.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

This has probably been talked about before as I know there is a ton of bleacher report bashing around these parts so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse.

I've been away for a few days so today I was catching up on all the latest Woods crap on cbssports.com and I could'nt help noticing all the links they had to bleacher report columns. I don't frequent cbssports.com much anymore so maybe this has been happening for quite some time.

I couldn't even finish any of the columns because the number of spelling and grammatical errors was just overwhelming. I felt dumber after reading them. I cannot believe that cbs sports -- as professional and credible of a publication as they are -- would provide links to this garbage that is not even journalism. Does anybody even edit that crap? Not one of the columns could string together 3 straight sentences without some kind of error. Complete trash.

In my eyes, if cbs is linking it, they are supporting it and are accountable for it. This makes cbs look really bad in my opinion. I can't believe they would stoop that low and link to that stuff. And don't they care to even edit it first before they link to it?? What is cbs thinking? How long have they been supporting bleacher freakin report???

2. HHDougB

HHDougB New Member

Yeah, I don't think even partnering with them is a logical move really.

Honestly, how many people go to BLEACHER REPORT to read about sports?

Not many. If they want to read an opinion or see breaking news, ESPN, Yahoo, Fox, Deadspin, etc, etc is where they go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the vast majority of people who read Bleacher Report are actual Bleacher Report writers?

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Exactly. If bleacher report wants to put out their half-ass product, that's fine. I don't really look down on them as much as I do at cbs for actually linking stuff to them. Blows my mind. I went to cbssports.com to read some real columns by real journalists. Other than Steve Elling, all I could find was bleacher report links.

So it makes me wonder, who's next? Will the day come when ESPN and SI are linking to BR too? Because I honestly never thought that cbs would sink that low. And again, maybe they've been doing this for a while because I don't visit their site as much as I used to. And now, I don't have much reason to go back either if that's the shit they're giving their readers.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Here's the problem with that assumption: Do people really go to credible news outlets anymore?

Look at the people who are writing for Bleacher Report. It's safe to say that an overwhelming majority of them are under 22 or are just fresh out of college with no hope of writing for a legitimate publication since they couldn't advance their careers in college.

Those kinds of people are the ones who embrace BLOGS! and all that other crap on the Interwebs these days.

So while it's absurd for CBS to link to the site, keep in mind that not everyone will go to a real outlet to find news ... and that's a sad, sad thing.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Member

Didn't that know-it-all, you-can't-tell-me-anything kid Andy Auger write for Bleacher Report? All I know is whenever one of my Google alerts has a link to BR, it gets deleted without being opened.

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

People may follow a link there but whenever I see Bleacher Report pop up I click the back button. Half the time it's those updates, which should really be on Twitter they are so short, and the rest of the time it's what was described above.

I'm surprised that CBS would put its name on that as well. Here you have a credible news org basically supporting a forum that is less substantive than the proverbial basement dweller. I haven't seen the numbers, but I can't imagine they are pulling new or regular readers with it.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I disagree. I bet they get a lot of hits because they are high in search engine rankings.

So, they likely get hits from people who are looking for information on specific teams or players, not someone just trolling sports sites like CBS.

8. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Oh man I stumbled upon that thread the other day while doing a search. What a circus that was. I kind of miss him to be honest.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you find him, don't bring his ass back here. I have other places you can send him.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Here are some places you can find him!

http://www.myspace.com/skater_punk18245

http://twitter.com/Andy_Auger

11. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

Your attitude towards BLOGS! is about the attitude blogs have towards BR. It's a platform that uses venture capital to turn random visitors into stupid columns and SEO to turn that into something marketable. It's derided by everyone with a stand-alone blog because the average quality is as you say.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I wonder if athletes respond to his random personal tweets. Because, you know, he's "somewhat legit."

@andy_auger I know, we should be more respectful of the game. Signed, Visanthe

RT @ddockett @andy_auger You got me there, kid. That was a long accident.

RT @BJRTH @andy_auger Bleacher Report? Wow, you are legit. Call me anytime.

@BJRTH But you didn't leave your phone number. Signed, Andy.

@andy_auger Hmmm. Call me!

The LA Times has linked to Bleacher Report too. One week was a link to a story about how the Lakers aren't that good. The next was a link to a story about how dominant they are. Only read the headlines.

Draft saved Draft deleted