1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBS and Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

True fact: Along with the SB III replay, NFLnetwork showed SB XXXII, the last NBC Super Bowl with Simms as lead analyst.
    That was 10 years ago, and he was one thousand times better than he was tonight. Said less, kept on topic, let the game come to him, then commented.
    I have to believe TV WANTS announcers who stick to pregame themes and not reality. After all, that's what drives their political commentary-both ways.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But do you think Paul Maguirre helped Simms as a better analyst in that game nine years ago?

Also, I think having Dick Enberg (just a hair behind Curt Gowdy and Pat Summerall as bet NFL play-by-play announcers of all time, but I'll take him nearly every day) helped make Simmms better vs. Super Bowl rookie Jim Nantz?

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It would have been just as bad on Fox, plus every graphic would have an accompanying sound effect, or a robot animation.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

note to claude - cbs made a mockery of today's game. any network would have done better.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I agree, Tom.

Including the Cartoon Network.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Especially if the cast of Aqua Teen Hunger Force were doing the play-by-play

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Best moment -- just before the Colts third kickoff, a camera pans in on Hester, who's lined up around the 30 in anticipation of another squib kick.

Vinatieri kicks it deep and Nantz and Simms are dumbfounded as to why Hester's not back there. It's at least a minute or so before they say that Hester was playing up field.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Any guess on the ratings for the game? It's two Midwest teams playing each other with Manning being the nearly household name. I'll be interested to see the final numbers and where it'll rank.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Watching the end of SB XXXVIII on NFL Network the other night, it seemed like Greg Gumbel was a perfectly good No. 1 PBP guy, whereas Nantz has never done it for me, in any venue.

10. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

There's plenty you can bash CBS about for their coverage, but if nothing else, I like most of their graphic packages. Fox drives me nuts with that score bar across the top of the screen that has tiny letters, yet still manages to block out the entire top of the screen with wasted space on the sides.

Fox has the game next year. With the game in Glendale, at least they know they won't have to worry about weather.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I was referring to the weather's effect on the equipment.

But, I'm also not sure Joe Buck is an upgrade over Jim Nantz.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I agree. I guess Michaels is the lesser of the evils. NBC has next, right?

And by the way, not to be a CBS backer or anything, but you can't simply wipe a camera lens with a towel.

Draft saved Draft deleted