1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBO: US likely to fall off 'fiscal cliff' if Bush-era tax cuts allowed to expire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 23, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It won't be 50 years, but you're living it right now.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no sound reason that the U.S. must go back into recession (as it seems Paul Ryan's austerity plan would have us do) to manage the debt crisis. We can sustain modest growth and bring the debt under control. It's not a one or the other scenario.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Romney wins the election, you can be sure the GOP will fall all over themselves to make sure a depression doesn't happen on their boy's watch.

If Obama is re-elected, get ready for Armageddon.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Oh, I'm ready.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm living in the generation that this will eventually happen to, or are you saying I'm actually living the fallout right now?

6. RickStain

You're living the first wave of the fallout. Nominal unemployment of 8.1%, real unemployment probably significantly beyond that. Inflation. Tepid growth. And we need massive government deficits just to prop the economy up to get to all that.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, if this is as bad as it gets, I can handle it.

I don't disagree that the debt is a major problem, but it isn't really one that's going to be solved with spending cuts and then larger tax cuts that remove more from the budget than the spending cuts put back in.

8. RickStain

Completely agree. Trying to tax cut the deficit is pure loony tunes.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If anyone thinks Romney would reduce the national debt or cut the deficit in a significant manner, they are fooling themselves. Speaking of that, Reagan did a hell of a job cutting the deficit, right?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Which brings us full circle. How do you stop the lunatic fringe in the House from holding the country hostage like it did last summer?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Significantly reduce their spending and taxation powers, and leave our money in our own pockets to spend (and drive economic activity) in ways that are actually driven by consumer demand?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Talking about lunacy ... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted