1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBO: Stimulus added up to 3.3 million jobs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 23, 2011.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Good point about the debt. Even if the stimulus did help things in the short run, it's going to cost a lot more down the road.

But the Republican mantra of simply cutting taxes, cutting regulation and cutting spending won't do it alone either. Taxes and regulation are as low as they've been since World War II, and yet we're still in this predicament. Austerity doesn't encourage spending.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's fine. There's no moral imperative to keeping capital gains taxes at 15 percent, either.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree. No reason to incentivize them to hire if they aren't going to hire. But I can't blame them for not hiring if they think it will hurt their business.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, you cure a broken arm by spending the money to fix the broken arm. And if you can't afford to fix the arm because the insurance companies won't pay it, the government should pay it.

Or, if you're a Republican, you say, tough shit. Live with your arm broken, because it's your fault you broke your arm, even if it isn't.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not sure how commensurable the two are. One argument is that you absolutely had to stop the nose dive at the time, or face catastrophic and irreversible consequences.

It's kind of like global warming. You could argue that money spent now is money wasted because, in the future, economic growth will make us wealthier and technological advancement will give us better weapons with which the battle the menace.

But it might be too late by then.

Same with the stimulus in regards to the collapsing economy, no?

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Agree on both. Though in many ways the business holds the leverage, especially now with jobs so scarce.

7. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

My wife is a kindergarten teacher and has many friends whose jobs were "saved" by the federal stimulus money that was spent to avert massive layoffs of firefighters, police and teachers. I appreciate the impact of this spending on those people's lives and families as much as anyone.

But these funds were stop-gaps designed to help state and local governments weather the budgetary storm until the economy improved and the revenue picture returned to normal. Now the money has run out and things aren't looking much (if any) better in most places.

So do we keep approving $800 billion stimulus programs to keep those public jobs filled -- without asking the tough questions about what all that debt means to our economy in the long term -- or do we simply accept that many state and local governments simply employ more people than they can afford to pay?

Just as you don't have to be a bleeding heart liberal to be unhappy about giving millionaires tax breaks at a time of war, you don't have to be a heartless conservative bastard to be concerned about the cost of a stimulus progoram with a highly questionable impact on job creation.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I can buy the argument that the stimulus was inefficient and not worth the cost of each job. But if it lead to crowding out then why did I just refinance my house at a fixed rate 3.75%? In the summer of 2009 when I financed the house it was 4.75%. Interest rates have declined.

Not maybe in the future the higher deficits will lead to crowding out. But if we are that worried about the long term effects of crowding out then I don't understand why the same people who hated the stimulus want to maintain all the Bush tax cuts.

And when Obama took office the economy was falling apart. Q4 2008 growth has been revised to -9.7% annually. The world was collapsing and the Administration was worried about another depression. Economics is not an exact science. Obama was throwing things into the deluge and the economy came out of recession pretty quickly, though I agree the recovery has been slow.

So on one hand I have the choice of voting for a guy who has not completely figured out how to lead us out of the worst economic crisis in 75 years and on the other hand a bunch of Republican candidates who sound just like George Bush, the President in Q4 2008, on the economy.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It gets paid for one way or another. The reason interest rates are being held artificially low is our monetary policy in response to our irresponsible fiscal policy. Relative faith in the dollar is the only thing between us and Greece and that faith can only be pushed so far.

When the government can't fund what it is supposed to do, it leads to higher rates. That leads to government having to scale back more and that leads to more fear. And that leads to yet higher rates. Until it spirals out of control the way it is with a bunch of European countries right now.

That hasn't been the case in the U.S., but it is because we have a central bank that has been devaluing the dollar to effectively reduce our debt. It is kicking the can down the road. But at a huge cost. Our standard of living has been taking a nose dive the last few years.

One way or another it gets paid for.

What is so horrific is that the crowding out effect of private investment, as a result of massive government debt, is a certainty at some point. According to the CBO's all-over-the-place projections in the new report, that comes in 2016 (there is no reason why it doesn't happen tomorrow without us shitting all over the dollar). If that is the case, we are doing the worst of everything all at once. We are spending like crazy in a way that hasn't given us good bang for the buck. We are devaluing our currency and eroding our standard of living to try to put off the fiscal effects of that debt. All that does is put off an inevitable price to be paid for our disastrous short-sighted fiscal policy.

As I said, it gets paid for one way or another.

As for your spending versus revenue political stuff, I don't really care. We can't afford $3 to $4 trillion budgets because they 1) divert resources from potentially productive areas of the economy to hand-picked, inefficient (and in many cases outright corrupt) areas. And that is an anchor on GDP. 2) We don't have the political will in this country to tax people in a way that can sustain budgets that big, and the inevitably result is the crowding out of private investment by our public debt.

The CBO predicted it (and anyone with a modicum of common sense did too, because theoretically it makes perfect sense) before the spending bill was passed. And because it is THE number one issue confronting us right now, it did a working paper last year: www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=11430

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think our monetary policy would have been lax with or without the stimulus. I think when the stimulus was being designed the Administration was pretty certain that Bernanke was not planning to raise rates. Which is why they reappointed him. Part of the policy response was to flood the markets with money. And looking at Europe right now that seems to have been a wise decision.

And I think the CBO's future concerns are valid. But we had to get out of this ditch. I think the people who disagree about a lax monetary policy are like Andrew Mellon in 1930. And I think cutting interest rates is a better policy response than government stimulus. But interest rates were already zero. But what happened, happened.

So why should I vote for people in the future who's obsession is in cutting marginal tax rates and hence increasing the deficit?

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Let's sell California to China. Bills paid.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Or are their tax rates simply too low to pay them?

Draft saved Draft deleted