1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBO: Stimulus added up to 3.3 million jobs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 23, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, "up to" 3.3 million jobs doesn't mean much. So, it might have created 3.3 million jobs?

If "might have" is the standard, couldn't you pick any number?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't know Solyndra had 3.3 million employees. :D

3. YankeeFan

When I worked at Continental Airlines, we had a small media agency do some work for us. They bartered air fair for media.

Now, whoever negotiated his contract really fucked it up. It included bonuses based on how effective he was, but it never really defined how that would be determined.

So, he would send in invoices claiming all kinds of revenue was a result of his work. It was ridiculous.

And, so is this.

Sure, as Rick says, you pump a ton of money into the system, you're going to create some jobs, at least temporarily. But, if the economy can't sustain them, you're worse off at the end of the day.

4. YankeeFan

I'm going to hire the CBO to write my online dating profile.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is not the message that some movement conservatives have been selling.

I bet if you polled Republican primary voters, a vast majority of them would tell you that the stimulus cost the economy jobs. Even in the short-term. I guarantee they would. And you know it, too.

6. Mizzougrad96

I don't know how someone could argue that it "cost" us jobs, but I definitely think you'd find people who didn't think it was successful, or at least didn't deliver what was promised.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What this report demonstrates is just how bad things would have cratered without the stimulus. That those dollars kept that many people in jobs during the biggest economic downturn of our lifetimes is valuable in itself (regardless of the quality of groceries purchased, RickStain) in that the money went to save families and lives; certainly a better and more timely use of those dollars than allowing the money to flow back to job creators who don't happen to be very interested in creating jobs in the private sector at the moment.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Wait, I thought "government has never created a single job."

9. YankeeFan

Plus, I'm up to 6'5", and I make up to a million dollars a year.

10. Mizzougrad96

The CBO also said "The newspaper industry may be doing very well."

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

“The last stimulus bill didn’t create one new job." - Scott Brown

12. Mizzougrad96

He didn't say it cost people jobs. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted