1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CBGB's closes. Punk is dead. You are old.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 14, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/13/cbgb.closure.ap/index.html

Patti Smith will play the last show.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Should've closed it in the 80s.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Isn't it reopening in Vegas? I seem to remember reading that. If true, that, more than anything else, signifies the death of punk.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

a sad day indeed. i saw blondie, the ramones and talking heads there in the '70s. good times. :'( :'( :'(

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I was going to start a CBGB thread myself because, seriously children, tomorrow is a sad day for rock music in this country when a place like CBGB has to close because the rent is too high.

If you're not from the NYC area or have never been there, you can't appeciate the impact this place and its owner, Hilly Krystal, had on rock music in America.
    Maybe this will help:

http://www.cbgb.com/history1.htm

Debbie Harry is part of the show tonight, Patti Smith does the finale tomorrow and then CBs closes its doors forever. It will be totally cleaned out by Oct. 31 and Krystal says he is saving everything to open a new CBGB in Vegas on 2008.

R.I.P. CBGB...OMFUG :( :(

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Well said, spnited. Even if you weren't in New York at that time you knew about CBGB's and Max's Kansas City because that's where some of the most exciting music being made in the US in the mid-to-late-70s came from.

Can't be too many legendary rock and roll places left. The Fillmores are long gone, even the good old El Mocambo, a legendary joint here in Toronto where everyone who was anyone (and plenty of acts who never became anything) played and the Stones recorded part of Love You Live has been gone for years.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

What? Punk is better than ever. ::)

[​IMG]

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

And to think Green Day's "Dookie" opened the pop-punk floodgates.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hey, I shop at Hot Topic, dammit!

Good Charlotte is about as punk as Jessica Simpson. Course pop-punk has sucked for years. I can remember a girl I worked with going on and on about Sum 41 and how much she loved punk. I almost left her along the side of the interstate between Indy and the Haute as punishment for her stupidity.

I think Nirvana's as much to blame for the current state of punk as Green Day. Record companies always sign up a buncha sucky copycats when a band hits big.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

green day rocks. 8) 8) 8)

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't mean blame like I hate them or anything. I adore both Nirvana and Green Day.

It's just that their success is why the record companies went out and signed up a buncha sucky copycats.

And record companies suck donkey balls for that tactic.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Rancid.

Draft saved Draft deleted