1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cavs beat writer at PD

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by onebigfella, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Regardless of the climate, PD ought to hire Windhorst. It's a double whammy -- major upgrade in your Cavs beat coverage and taking away the competition's stud. This would have more impact than the Pluto hire by far.

PD should look to save money somewhere else this time around. Offer some middle-management geezer a buyout. It would be worth it.

Just my two cents.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wonder if the PD will shut out Ace again?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's definitely what they should do, but I'm guessing they're going to promote from within.

4. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

They have told other members of their department that they are going to hire from outside. I doubt there will ever be an open posting for a job like this. Then again, they could change their minds and promote from within. If you look at the staff there aren't a whole lot of candidates, they don't have any young, hungry folks on the staff. Maybe from somewhere else in the newsroom.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I find that very difficult to believe.

6. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Yeah even though I heard it from a PD reporter...I probably shouldn't have believed it.

7. Doug Lesmerises doesn't count?

P.S. Not that I have any idea if he'd want to leave OSU for the NBA beat.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Doug's working the OSU beat? Wow. I met him while he was a Phillies beat writer.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

The same story was making the rounds in my shop late last week, but I didn't want to post something so outlandish if it wasn't substantiated. I'm still not sure I buy it.

Then again, if that is actually what happened, how much of an idiot do you have to be to throw away a job like that for what ... a hundred bucks?

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

wow! surprised this thread hasn't been moved yet.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't believe the WaPo stringing story. The job Branson has been handed definitely can be considered a reward, at least for someone who isn't all that eager to bust a gut in the first place. Full-time blogging, compiling a roundup of stuff from other sites. Real heavy lifting.

If he was getting busted for some no-no, that's hardly the way to penalize him.

One truth about this business always has been, if your ego can handle it, one of the best things that can happen to you is to fall out of favor with a boss. They tend to stick you with some duty where you aren't asked to do a whole lot, and your paycheck doesn't change. Too many department heads aren't wired to actually discipline or, better yet, work with someone who is languishing. They just let you languish in a less visible role. They might take your red stapler away though.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

IS this job open? See playthrough's earlier message.

Draft saved Draft deleted