1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cautious optimism in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nibs price, Jul 26, 2008.

1. nibs price

nibs price Member

Interesting take from the AP guys, but I wonder how much of the whole picture this presents, really. It sounds like a heavily enforced "peace" that will take a lot longer to fully catch on.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ_WINNING_THE_WAR?SITE=FLPEJ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

BAGHDAD (AP) -- The United States is now winning the war that two years ago seemed lost.

Limited, sometimes sharp fighting and periodic terrorist bombings in Iraq are likely to continue, possibly for years. But the Iraqi government and the U.S. now are able to shift focus from mainly combat to mainly building the fragile beginnings of peace - a transition that many found almost unthinkable as recently as one year ago.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

It's the AP. Their political coverage is a fucking joke.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Cautious optimism" could have been the same term used in 1780 also .

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I like how this thing is going exactly like the movie The Battle of Algiers.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They are still at a couple hours of electricity a day.

6. I was cautiously optimistic when we invaded Cambodia.

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Without debating the merit of the argument of peace in Iraq - where is the attribution?

Is the reader supposed to believe the reporter's opinion? Is the AP now the "voice of God?"

I know several major newspapers that attempt to get away with this trick but the reporter is that, reporting what is happening. Get someone, even a political hack or military spokesman saying this not writing as if your word is the Gospel.

8. nibs price

nibs price Member

It was listed as "analysis" but I wondered, too, just who the real sources were.

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Now even McCain has joined Obama's Iraq position:

"Timetables was the buzzword for those that wanted to get out," McCain scolded Romney at a Jan. 30 debate at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, Calif.

How the (time)tables have turned.

During a Friday interview with CNN, McCain called a 16-month withdrawal from Iraq "a pretty good timetable."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=3105455&page=1

Political expedience anyone?

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I didn't think the story lacked for attribution, actually. It's well established that we bought off the Sunnis and that the Mahdi Army went underground. Those are two vital factors in the reduction in violence. The surge helped, as did the fact that (despite what those in power would want you to believe) the overwhelming majority of insurgents weren't radical Islamists, but members of ethnic factions locked in a power struggle. At a certain point, it made more sense for them to stop fighting, cut deals and come to the table.

But as the story notes, it's a tenuous peace at best. Once we leave (whenever that is), we'll see how sturdy it is.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

No shit?

Draft saved Draft deleted