1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caught on tape: Man opens fire at school board meeting, shoots self

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting on the day that this happens in my town.

No longer a question of it, but of when.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This guy has a John Wayne-sounding last name.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

Not so awesome: Hanging with my nephew tonight and he's coloring in front of the TV, which is tuned to Inside Edition (don't ask). Jackass gunman starts firing away and I thought of Shotglass grabbing his child a second before that guy in PA blew his brains out on TV.

I covered my nephew's eyes (I'd only seen but hadn't read this thread, thought that maybe the guy executed the entire room before offing himself). "Why did you do that?" he says. "Because you shouldn't see that," I say. And then my sister and I turned into old fogeys and started ranting and raving about how disgusting it is that this shit is on TV.

I actually thought it was one of the evening news telecasts, so I was relieved that it was Inside Edition.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Just be careful and cover his ears when Inside Edition is on and Bill O'Reilly just wants to fuck it and go live.

My sister's kids are older now but when they were young I'd try to shield them, but it was sort of hopeless since they watched whatever the hell they wanted at home. My then 3-year-old niece told my wife - a supernanny who is a vigilante when it comes to kids watching TV - that she was having nightmares.

"Why?"

"Freddy Kooger is going to get me."

"Freddy Krueger?"

"We watched Freddy and Jason."

Ah.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Michael Savage commented on this tonight. He said that it was a security guard with a gun who stopped him, not an ACLU attorney with briefs.

I'm not sure what the point he was trying to make was. It was something to do with the hypocrisy of liberals, I guess, but I just don't see it.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

WHY DO YOU CHOOSE TO LISTEN TO THAT GUY?!

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Local TV station shows the tape.

My 3-year-old stops what he's doing and watches with rapt attention. I'm on the other side of the room, and can't grab the remote quick enough to change the channel or jump over to cover his eyes.

I let him stay up an awful lot longer than I usually do. Wasn't letting him go to bed immediately after watching that. I hope I didn't scar my kid ... but it's 1:15 a.m. and as a school employee, I'm *always* scared of that kind of stuff happening. You never know who you might p!$$ off.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

My wife, upon hearing him for the first time: "who's this?"
    Me: "someone who makes Rush Limbaugh look like FDR."

I'm to the right of Atilla the Hun, and I can't listen to Savage because he's nuts.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He makes me laugh.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're nothing if not consistent. Never miss a chance to take a shot at Florida. This could have happened anywhere.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the time my mom rented Ghost Rider. I don't think she was aware that his flaming skull was not a part of the costume but rather results from a transformation. My nephews were watching. The 7-year-old screamed, as expected. The 11-year-old started crying.

I told my mom after that, "Next time you rent a superhero movie, call me before you show it to the boys."

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I live in Tallahassee (though I'm not there now) and this hit close to home to me.

A friend from Peace Corps is from Panama City. This is from her:

"One of those school board members is my boss. Ginger Littleton (the woman with the purse) is a family friend and the superintendent (Bill Husfelt) I know well. He was my high school principal, grew up down the street from my mother. I went to school with his daughter and grew up across the street from his son-in-law. And actually, he donated to my (Peace Corps) project in Morocco. Its pretty crazy reading about it and watching the videos. Mr. Husfelt stayed so calm and reassuring; it's amazing. "

Draft saved Draft deleted