1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caught on tape: Man opens fire at school board meeting, shoots self

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Some guy, upset about his wife being fired, brings out a gun at a school board meeting in Florida. He draws a big V with a circle, like in V for Vendetta. Then starts shooting, but only after one board member tries subduing him with a purse. Also, the superintendent confronts the guy, telling him why he's wrong about his argument. Ballsy. The gunman thankfully misses everyone, then kills himself after a guard engages in a shootout. Ugh. And thank you for CNN giving us a slow-motion view of the shooting.

http://tv.gawker.com/5713614/florida-school-board-shooting-caught-on-tape#viewcomments

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That ish is 600 kinds of scary.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There was one district that I covered where I worried about that happening. And there weren't any armed guards or police within miles.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Wow. Dude's a terrible shot, thankfully.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Writes about himself in the past tense on his Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Clay-Duke/100001890028704#!/profile.php?id=100001890028704

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Seconded.

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I was shocked that so much of the shooting was shown on television. I don't think a man firing a shot at someone would have been shown a few years ago.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK, someone has to.....

"You only write about us when some whacknut with a glock and a mullet shoots at our school board members......"

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Fascinating. Seems like he had enough of the oligarchy. Makes no sense to go after the school board though. Maybe he would have better served his creed by popping a cap into a banker.

Lots of V for Vendetta and Guy Fawkes references on his FB.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm pulling a Moddy here....

What is "ish"?

12. This prolly stating the obvious but ... the guy had issues.
    He had a criminal record and a past history of thuis kind of thing. In 1999 I think he confronted a girlfriend armed with two pistols, threatening to kill her. She fled and he shot out the tires.

At that close range, I wonder if he missed them on purpose? Thankfully, he was the only one killed.

Draft saved Draft deleted