1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caught on Tape: Kobe Calls Ref a F***ing F****t

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This stuff happens all the time. TV people have to be real careful with open mikes at courtside.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

So, ref, how does Kobe's ass taste?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yep, the big, bad network's fault.

At least you didn't blame it on the color of his skin.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Yeah. Non-story.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Who gives an F? Do posters here really expect the language on the court to have the same decorum as a job interview or board meeting?

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm probably in the minority here, but I kind of agree with Mark2010, not in blaming the network, but the NBA, which allows these cameras to get too up close and personal for us, the fans. This kind of stuff has been going on for decades, and only now is it a big deal.

Technology with cameras and microphones+hypersensitivity= this incident.

It'll be forgotten after Kobe writes a check for about $50,000.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Some words are not acceptable anywhere. It doesn't surprise me that an athlete would be the type of person to use that word, but it does need to be shouted down when it comes up.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No, but as Rick said, some words are different, and this is one of those words.

It's a word not to be used.

If someone had called Kobe the "N" word, it would be a big deal. So should this. I mean, imagine if the ref had come back and told him, "shut the F up you Fing "N"?

Would they be even and we could all move along?

I don't think so.

And, as usual, Kobe's apology was lame. He doesn't get it. It's not like he said that he understood the word was unacceptable and that he would not use it again.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You really think that was KOBE'S apology?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It wasn't an apology.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Anybody who thinks this is a big deal should sit on press row during a NBA game and hear what is said on the floor, in the huddle etc...

On no level does that excuse it.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Even for a statement written by a publicist, it was lacking in, oh I don't know, an actual apology.

And, unless you pledge to at least try not to use the slur again, it's worthless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.