1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caught on Tape: Kobe Calls Ref a F***ing F****t

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

No, but fighting words are. I'd suggest you recalibrate your depth-finder, before you embarass yourself further.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

What about "guido?" If I see a very orange-tanned man or woman walking down the street, and I call said person a guido, am I being insensitive?

3. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I'll agree with this to a point, and it's why I'm OK with Kobe getting fined despite the fact that I personally think this has been blown out of proportion. But I don't think comparing the jobs of NBA players to the jobs of average office types is fair. Consider this: In addition to yelling out 'fucking faggot' loud enough for your boss to hear, yell out 'cocksucker,' 'motherfucker,' 'bullshit,' and/or any of the other curses that occasionally get picked up on telecasts. In the NBA, that's par for the course and goes without punishment, but I'm betting that at the office you'd be punished equally for yelling out any of those slurs or curses.

Considering you are trying to send the topic in another direction, I'll assume you are just here to bash on Kobe, but fine I'll play along. If it's not incidental that Kobe's career has coincided with a popularity decline in the NBA, you want to explain why the teams that are bleeding money always sell out when Kobe comes to town? You don't like him, that's fine. That may or may not have impacted the level of offense taken by you upon hearing his utterance, but either way, that's fine too. But to try and play off the opinion that Kobe is totally and completely a horrible person and make a statement that the NBA and his sponsors lose money from him being such a horrible person -- when in fact he is one of, if not the most popular, bankable players in the NBA -- is foolish.

One final note: I'm pretty sure that this thread is setting a record for arrogant, thoughtless dismissals of dissenting posters. If I read the word 'ignorant' one more time I'm certain I'm going to have an aneurysm.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why?

"Ignorant" is just a word.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That would be ignorant to have an aneurysm over this

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I'll stipulate you're right about one thing, s_g: There's a better analogy. Try calling a police officer who just gave you a speeding ticket a "fucking faggot." See how that works out. And, not for nothing, but when people are being deliberately ignorant, there's not much else to call it.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If we've learned one thing from this thread, it's this: If you disagree with certain viewpoints, you're being ignorant, childish and adding nothing to the conversation.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As I said before... This thread is gay. :D

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Bingo.

And it's funny that the people on the side of "How dare Kobe use such an offensive word!" are the ones calling those who disagree with them childish names.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh stop it, poopy face

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But they're just words!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.