1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cats or dogs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, May 18, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Dawgs.

2. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Good post by Buckweaver. I have a sheltie-type 'pound' street dog adoped from SPCA who is smarter/more intuitive than me. I have experience with smart and brassy cats (I inherited my mother's spoiled beautiful cat who is short on smarts but long on 'spit on the devil' brass) and I think the issue reduces to empathetic communication. Relationships based on friendship reward both human and animal, where 'ownership' by numbuts will cage participants in a sad grey box. Being psychically lazy, I prefer dogs.

3. The answer to this question definitely depends more on your personality than the animal itself.

I've had both cats and dogs growing up, but the only one I've felt comfortable with on my own is a cat.

Being needed all the time is something I can accept as a parent, but not something I want from a pet. My cats do their thing and I do mine. And when we're both done for the day, we curl up on the couch together and veg out. Doesn't get much better than that, IMO.

My attention is on high-demand as it is. Hell, I get annoyed at my big cat because, rather than jumping his big ass over our chain-link fence in the backyard, he'll scratch at the door until I will let him in and then he will go to the front door and scratch until I will let him out. Fat bastard.

I credit anyone who has the time and patience to take care of a dog. I love big dogs, but I realize I don't have the time and resources for them. I hate seeing big dogs chained outside in the rain with empty food bowls.

As for cat fans. My daughter's cat just had kittens. My wife and daughter spent the weekend watching the cat give birth to four of them and making sure they have everything they need. There's four altogether. I think we're keeping one.

Anyone want one?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If I was in your neck of the woods, I'd take one, W_B. I haven't had a little kitten in about 8 years (Stan was already almost grown when I adopted him), and I'd love to have a baby for once.

Course then I'd officially become a crazy cat lady since I'm single and I'd have three cats :D

5. John

John Well-Known Member

What he said. Though I respect the cats that sometimes ignore you when you call them.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dogs. And you can get the fuck out of my head, buckdubs! :D

7. The cat initially tried to get me to attend to her while she gave birth. I didn't understand at first, I was wondering why it kept biting my fingers and leading me to a dark corner in the closet. My wife and kid gladly filled that role.

My four-year-old was fascinated watching the cats come out. She didn't get grossed out until the mom cat started eating the placentas. She looked at my pregnant wife and asked, "Are you going to do that, too?"

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cats.

They make you earn it.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

"No honey. That's for daddy."

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Every failed relationship I've ever had was with a cat owner.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dogs by a landslide.

but now i've moved out of town again, i'm growing more fond of cats due to an absence of mice.

12. At least you don't have to walk their cat.

I once had a girlfriend with a dog and, apparently, one of my rewards for spending the night with her was standing in the freaking snow the next morning while the dog oh-so-carefully chose the perfect spot for its next tinkle.

Not to mention the fact that the dog once tried to lick me in a sensitive area while in the act with its owner.

I'm happily married to a fellow cat person.

Draft saved Draft deleted