1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cats or dogs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, May 18, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

After reading the thread started by MrWrite about losing and finding his cat, I thought I would start a thread asking which people like better and why. So is it cats or dogs? I have never had pets myself, but I'm going to say dogs.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dogs. Cats can get bent.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cats x 1,000,000.

They are able to take a shit in the middle of the night without me having to get up. They clean themselves and rarely smell. There's nothing more peaceful than a cat resting in your lap (have fun with that!) nor a happier sound than the purrmeow squawk.

And you have to work for their trust, but once you earn it, you've got the most loyal lifelong friend you could ever find.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dogs. You don't have to earn their trust; they give it unconditionally. And every time they see you is like the first and best time they've ever seen you.

The happiest sound in the world is hearing your dog smacking his tail on the floor and doing a little dance while waiting for you to unlock the door and come inside, so you can pet him and rub his belly.

The second-happiest sound in the world is the sound his feet make when he twirls in six circles trying to get comfortable before plopping down in the exact same spot he was in, giving a great big sigh, and falling asleep against your leg.

5. Giggity

Giggity Member

Cats. You have to earn their trust. They don't give it unconditionally. And every time they see you is like their one and only best friend came home, and they couldn't be happier about it.

The happiest sound in the world is when you've had a house full of people and everything quiets down, and your cat comes out of hiding and starts rubbing your leg and purring, and is like "Hey, fuck, I've been waiting all day to hang out! Now that these idiots are out of my zone, let's focus on some belly-rubbing or some toy-dangling or some treat-eating and chill for awhile."

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

While I have nothing against dogs, I'll always prefer cats.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Cats.
    Once you've got their trust they'll love you unconditionally. Love the sound of being at the front door and hearing the jingle of the bell/tags on his collar as he comes to greet me. Cats don't need to be walked or let out at any time of day or night to go to the bathroom, they just know to go to the litterbox. The sound of a purr of contentment lying in your lap or in your arms while getting a bellyrub is hard to beat.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dogs. Reasons too numerous to list. Don't dislike cats at all. Just don't want one. I couldn't sit on my deck for hours and play "ballie" with a cat.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Cats. It's not even close.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I prefer dogs for all the reasons Buck said. Cats, in my experience, are hit or miss. My sister had two cats. One of them, the older of the two, was extremely possessive and ornery and way too private for my liking. The other one was great. He liked to play and hang by my leg. I miss that guy. But I've never had a bad experience with a dog -- except that one time I got too close to a chicken bone with meat on it.

My dog was incredible. She knew what mood I was in when I got home and adapted to it immediately. She was very protective of me and my family. It was just really cool to watch.

Anyway, when I debate such tough questions, I usually consult the experts:

[​IMG]

Shadow: [after Sassy is lost in the river] I shouldn't have made her come.
    Chance: It's not your fault, she wanted to come.
    Shadow: But it's my responsibility. I had a responsibility to Sassy - to love her and protect her - the same as I have to you... and to Peter. And the same as you have to Jamie.
    Chance: But we didn't ask for this job.
    Shadow: We didn't have to. It's built in. Has been ever since the dawn of time... when a few wild dogs took it upon themselves to watch over man, to bark when he's in danger, to run and play with him when he's happy, to nuzzle him when he's lonely. That's why they call us man's best friend.

And ...

Sassy: You just woke me up from a very deep catnap.
    Chance: What's the matter, Sassy? Get up on the wrong side of the litter box?
    Sassy: Even a great beauty needs her beauty sleep!
    Chance: Beauty sleep? You'd have to sleep for, like, a month!

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Dogs, in a landslide. The dogs in my life have been loyal, affectionate and mostly obedient because that's their actual personality instincts; the cats like us only because we're larger and we feed them and give them what they need.

A family can leave a huge and powerful Great Dane or St. Bernard alone with their children in complete confidence that they'll be OK. The dog could kill the kids in a second if it wanted too but NEVER would because it's instincts are just the opposite: to protect and provide companionship to the kids.

But if the cats I've had had been larger than me and didn't need me for food, I'm quite certain they would've tortured, killed, and eaten me in the same way they do those chipmunks in the backyard.

Draft saved Draft deleted