1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cats and dogs, living together

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Need some advice from the masses.
    We have an 8-year-old dog who has been our only pet for the past seven years. Now we're trying to integrate a kitten (5 months old) into the household. Inside the house has largely been the dog's territory. She barks whenever a guest comes in, and on the few occasions that other dogs have visited she's been fairly territorial.
    The first day or two she snarled at the cat. We tried to discourage that, but also made sure to pet her and still show her love. Now we're letting the cat wander free and there seems to be an uneasy peace. If anything, the dog seems depressed (but not in a snarly, violent way) that the kitten is creeping in on her turf.
    I'm keeping a wary eye on their interactions, but also trying to let them mingle.

So, any advice on how to keep peace in the valley? And how to keep the cat from taking over, or the dog from needing canine Zoloft?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The dog will eat the cat in a couple days.

Problem solved.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

What sort of dog we talking about here? Not a retired racing greyhound, I bet.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Interesting. We went at this from the other direction. We had a 3-year-old cat (female) and brought a Jack Russell/border terrier puppy (male) into the house.

She was a little hostile at the beginning, and when he started to play a little too rough, she whapped him across the snout a few times and got him to back off -- a little.

It was funny to watch them together, though. It was just like a teenage girl with a bratty little brother, kind of like the Foxtrot comic. He'd pick at her and tease her, just playing, until she'd finally had enough then she'd turn on him.

He's 2 1/2 now, and been fixed, so he's not as manic, and they've pretty much established their turfs. Every once in a while they get into it, but I think it's mostly just play.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I envy you, albert. Winston is now almost 2 1/2 and there's not a 5-minute period where he's out of his crate that he's not trying to "play with" (read as "eat" for the victims) one of my cats. It's exhausting. He grabs them by their tail, around their neck, anywhere he can get them, and pulls. I'm hoarse by 8 p.m. from telling him "no" and I'm tired of chasing him off so much.

HELP ME.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We did it almost two years ago, with two dogs and a cat (with claws!), but it helped that their first full integration was in a new house that none of them had been in long enough to get territorial.

The key was that they each had space they knew was theirs and no one else's. All three of them started dividing the house, the furniture, assorted pillows and blankets, etc., and generally kept to themselves for a little while. And, of course, there was a dust-up or five, the most serious being one of the dogs fell down the stairs after the cat tried to claw her.

Fast-forward to now, and the cat and remaining dog are good buddies. They share a bed and sometimes even share food. One goes nuts whenever I take the other to the vet by himself. I can't pet one without petting the other.

(I should also note that my dogs were/are older and too lazy to be bothered with most of the trivialities of life.)

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The dog is a rat terrier.
    They seemed to have the uneasy peace last night. They were in the same room at times, occasionally even within striking distance, and there weren't any real dust ups. If anything, the cat was the aggressor. She was doing kitten things like stalking the dog, following her from room to room, just being curious. The dog seemed to want no part of her.
    Worse was the damn cat deciding 4 a.m. is when she wants to wake up. We've been shutting her up in the hall bathroom at bedtime so she won't get into anything or try to jump in the bed with us and the dog. She's fine for a few hours, then 4 a.m. comes and she starts meowing like crazy until she's let out. That's when she gets put outside, no matter how chilly it is.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I have a predominantly white dog and cat of roughly the same size (fluffy white cat, 17, and Maltese-Shi Tzu mix, 3). The cat always dives into the dog food (they both try to get at mine). The dog humps the cat bed. They even swing at each other occasionally.
    Basically, they're an old married couple.

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted