1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cathy Henkel leaving Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Pipeline, another SE gets out:

Folks:

I’ve made an important decision that affects all of you to some degree: I’ve leaving The Seattle Times. It just felt like my time and I’m at peace with my decision. I’m looking forward to whatever unfolds in the next chapter, the so-called second life (or is it the third or fourth?). So, future TK.

After 41 years in the business and 21 years here at The Times, newspapering is deeply entwined in my DNA. I take a lot of pride in what we’ve built together here, have reveled in all your successes, pushed when I thought it was needed and above all, hoped to emphasize the “journalism” in “sports journalism.”

I also have always thought it important to bring humor into the section, and in these times, that is more vital than ever. People need relief, and sports can provide that. Find a way to help readers lighten up.

I say this having taken these two calls from those dear hearts in the last few days – an 81-year-old reader emailed me today to say I was a “pompous ass” for not running NFL Network schedules. A hockey fan, discouraged at our reduced coverage, left a short phone message, with this ending: “You can just bite me, lady.” I could go on and on with these examples over the years. I just keep telling myself, they are passionate about the Sports section – and that’s a good thing.

My last day is Dec. 12, so I’d like to take the remaining time to organize my departure to leave things in the best possible shape – and have an opportunity to talk with you individually. I want to thank you all for making our section and online presentation so powerful – and I’ll be your No. 1 fan from the bleachers.

Just don’t make me listen to KJR ever again.

Let me also apologize for conveying this news in an e-mail form, but I’m a journalist, so I know how news travels like wildfire. I thought this was one I’d ignite in the same way with all of you.

My sincere thanks to each one of you.

All the best,

Cathy

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Wow. That's a stunner. The Seattle Times has been an awesome section during her tenure. Wish her nothing but the best.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I never worked with her, but she was willing to meet with a young female wannabe sports writer twice -- once in high school and once during college -- and answered any question I had and was as helpful as could be. She's been one of the few females I've been able to look up to in this industry, even though I don't particularly want to go into management, and I wish her the best beyond Dec. 12. Hopefully she'll get to travel some more. Good luck, Cathy.

4. VJ

VJ Member

Fisch for SE!

5. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

It will be interesting to see how the paper goes about filling this position, considering the layoffs that are coming. Will they fill from within, or go outside?

They have two long-term assistants there who would likely be interested and worthy candidates.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sad to see her go, but at least she's leaving on her terms.

I'll never forget the piece she wrote about the BTK killer in Wichita:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002191389_henkel27.html

7. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

I'll second that.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

There are those who will say that she should've left a few years ago. Nevertheless, her contributions to the business and the Seattle area will be remembered. She will be missed.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Drip --- that's cold!

Her assistants are pretty solid, I gather.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's not meant to be cold.

11. Don't know him too well, but I'll third. Nothing but good things.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

An old editor used to say that using "those who will say" or "many say" or crap like that is a poorly disguised way of saying "I will say."
    "So," he'd say, "have the rocks to say it."

Who are those, drip?

Draft saved Draft deleted