1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catholic university has the gall to hang crucifixes in classrooms!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ashy Larry, Feb 12, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Am I missing a blue font here or are you just behaving like an ass?

What the hell is wrong with a non-religious person not wanting to go to a Catholic University?

Let me ble clear here. The professor is a jackass. He has no ground to stand on at all. He's at a private, Catholic university. BC is absolutely right here.

That said, I do think religious symbols can be divisive in a classroom. And from my own experience, they can make a member of another faith uncomfortable. Why shouldn't a non-religious person, or somebody who is not part of that particular religion, not go elsewhere?

2. Without getting into the tiresome "You must support my intolerance or else you're intolerant" debate. I really would like to know what happened recently that prompted the BC people to reinstall the dead Jesuses in the classrooms.
    I went to a Catholic university -- see Running College Basketball Thread for details -- and I honestly can't remember if there were dead Jesuses hanging on the walls or not.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I thought it was "crucifeese".

4. If they made a conscious decision to remove them at some point, and then made a conscious decision to bring them back, and a newspaper has seen fit to cover the resulting controversy, I'd like to know why everything happened. That's all.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Fen has a good point here -- I'd want to know why a Catholic institution felt compelled to take down the crucifixes in the first place.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I went to a Catholic college, and the older classrooms had them, the new ones didn't. I don't think anyone thought much of it either way; it's just sort of part and parcel to attending a Catholic institution.

But yes, I would also wonder why BC took them down in the first place, if that is the case.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

BC never removed them.....they've decided to add them to their classrooms

8. Raising the question, why now?

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A question, considering they're a private school, that they're under no obligation to answer.

10. I see Dead Jesuses.

/ Passion of the Sixth Sense

11. Just give him the DAMN BALL!
    Boy's hot today.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Apparently they found a box of them in coach Jagodzinski's office.

Draft saved Draft deleted