1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Catalina burning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, May 11, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-catalina11may11,0,964662.story?coll=la-home-center

As someone who grew up and lived in Southern California for many years, I can't remember fires on Santa Catalina Island, and certainly not a big one like this, which is now in Avalon, the main city. Avalon/Catalina is a great spot to go, too.

Driest winter on record in SoCal and it's going to be a long fire season. It already is. There aren't even the usual poppies in the Antelope Valley (hi, Birdscribe). It might be worse than the 2003 fire season, when it was basically a wall of fire from Big Bear to Ventura.

2. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

2003 was a wall of fire from Tijuana to Ventura and everything in between.

The scariest part of these fires is that other fire companies are sending their personal to these fires and it isn't like they can get them back quickly if something were to happen back home. Which will undoubtedly happen because it is hotter than HELL here in SoCal.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've been to Catalina for a day and thought it was a nice little getaway.

However, why on Earth would anyone live there? Most people drive around on golf carts, and yet they're just 20 miles from the second largest city in America.

Why not live on the mainland? I'd love some insight to anyone familiar. It seems like it would be a nuisance to me.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I will be taking the trip over to Catalina tomorrow to cover the fire. But I am not sure how much of Catalina will be left tomorrow or if we will ever survive.
    I did coverage of the 2003 fire in Malibu and Burbank and it was bad.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Catalina is a nice little day trip. The reason people drive golf carts is because cars are not allowed on the island.

This saddens me. I hope they stop it before it burns Avalon.

6. MileHigh

I read this is the first major fire on Catalina since 1915.

2003 was horrible. My brother was living in Lake Arrowhead at the time and was evacuated for 2 1/2 weeks, but the place he was living (renting, not owning) somehow was spared. I was up there in October and things are getting back to normal, but you can still see the destruction. It was bad.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I haven't been to Catalina since '83, when we took our senior ditch day there. It's a nice, little day retreat, although I'd rather go out to the Coachella Valley because there's way more to do there.

Yes, 2003 was bad. 2002 wasn't much better; the Cajon Pass caught fire twice and Bouquet Canyon between Santa Clarita and the Antelope Valley caught fire not once, but twice. Since the prevailing winds blow southwest to northeast, it was like the nuclear winter in the AV for a few weeks.

We've had a grand total of four inches of rain this winter -- the lowest level since they started keeping records in the 1880s -- and yes, MileHigh, the poppies aren't at their usual full-bloom levels. It's going to be a brutal fire season.

And to think, two years ago, we got nearly 40 inches of rain...

8. MileHigh

My parents and brothers are still in the I.E. and it's pretty bad there, right at the bottom of Cajon and getting lots of wind. They've never seen it drier.

And, yes, I'm sure you'd rather go to Coachella for a day trip. More golf courses. ;)

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Make it a double and cover a game at Avalon High. Now that would be impressive.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Is this a sign that even former Cubs spring training places aren't immune from bad breaks?

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Sailed to Catalina Island on our honeymoon.

I personally like Monterey/Carmel by the Sea and Coronado Bay better, but still a quality experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted