1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cat Owners

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Declawing is barbaric. There are actually a few cities around the country that are outlawing it.

FH, there is no good solution to this if the owner of the cat does not have the time to train it. It can be done, but it takes more patience and willpower than a lot cat owners don't have. I suggest covering up your good furniture until you're out of this situation.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Kill the cat and blame Not's soon-to-be ex-wife.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A "scratching post" usually is ignored because it's too small and unstable, and a cat wants to scratch on something that won't move.

If you own a cat, you need to buy it its own piece of furniture. A place to scratch, sleep, play, etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

My ex-wife is turning into a crazy cat lady. She has at least four. She has the biggest friggin' kitty kondo I've ever seen.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/declawing-cats-positives-negatives-alternatives

The bone has to be surgically removed so the claw does not grow back. I still feel bad that I didn't do the research on this one before we had it done to ours. My wife had grown up with cats, so I just let her handle it. If I had known what they actually do, I wouldn't have gone for it.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Good chance it's nicer than my apartment.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wish I could help, but the only thing our cat even wants to scratch is a piece of wood in the foundation of the house that we don't give a fuck if she scratches it or not. She has no interest scratching anything else in the house.

After I scolded her once, my dad told me, "she can scratch that if she wants" and told me how insignificant the thing she scratches is. I stopped correcting her that moment.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You can try the water bottle squirting or the scolding, but you have to sleep sometime.

And it will probably steal your breath.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There is a declawing procedure that does not involve removing the bone. They can cut the tendon that extends the claw, preventing them from scratching with their claws. You will have to file his nails down because they won't wear down from usage any longer.

There are also plastic nail covers you can buy at places like PetSmart and put over their claws. They'll last about six weeks as the claws grow out and cut through the layers of plastic. I would highly recommend having the vet apply those the first time so you can see how it's done and get pointers.

10. Declaw the sucker. My vet had zero problem doing it and that cat is no worse for wear. Granted it stays indoors now, but he's a lot more fun and less destructive.
    Barbaric? No. We have thumbs, we make the call.

11. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Mrs. Tino and I got a cat around Labor Day, and we tried the soft claws (plastic covers). I thought they were a little expensive and hard to apply properly. We gave up on them after about a month and have relied on frequent claw trimmings since then with no problems.

Also, re: scratching posts. Our cat wouldn't go near the one we got for the first few weeks. Sprinkle a little bit of catnip on it and, sweet sassy molassy, she's on it like white on rice.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Catnip can work wonders with getting cats to pay attention to something they're not interested in.

Draft saved Draft deleted