1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cat Owners

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm having a predicament. There's a cat in my house. It's not by my choice. But it's here. And it's not going anywhere, at least innocently. I can tolerate it. But I will not tolerate that fucking feline clawing up my furniture. Outside of getting it de-claweed, which I'm pretty sure isn't an option, what can I do to make that fucking thing stop? Outside of making it rue the day it started fucking up my couch? Is there anything that can be done to stop a cat from clawing up your furniture?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You could get a dog that hates cats and solve your problem without getting your hands dirty.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They have scratch pads and scratching posts, but my cats don't ever use those. They also made some adhesive stuff you're supposed to put on the arms and legs of your couch that's supposed to make them not scratch. My mom put them on the couches at her house, but they were already destroyed.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, HB. Cats are a bitch to train, especially if it is an adult cat already set in its ways.

If this is a permanent arrangement, I'd push harder for the declawing as a compromise and hope whoever brought the cat into your home doesn't realize how they do it.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Kitten mittons?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

LUFF you.

7. slytiger

slytiger Member

Squirt Bottle, every time it gets near the furniture blast it.

8. Flying Headbutt

Ohhhhh, from your keyboard to God's ears. Or eyes. Or whatever.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

When I first got my cat and he was clawing on my chair, I would hit his claws and say his name really loudly and then "No." Now, any time he goes near that chair and I can tell he wants to claw, I just say his name and he backs away.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Two part solution - make sure there are things they are allowed to scratch (carpet-covered or disposable cardboard doesn't really matter) and use a squirt bottle when they start to scratch things they're not allowed to. Most cats hate water and learn fast that if they stick to scratching the appropriate things, they'll be safe.

11. Flying Headbutt

The problem with the water bottle is that I don't have the time, nor the willingess to babysit that thing until it starts pulling that shit. It's not my cat, and I'm just not around the room enough when he's fucking my shit up. So getting busted once in a while ain't going to teach him anything when he'll be getting away with it more often than not.

Fucking cats.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

This thread should have ended with "...are the best people in the world."

But I see Headbutt is a communist jerkface, so it has not.

Draft saved Draft deleted