1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casting a Blue Chips remake

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Nov 16, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This afternoon, one of my friends admitted that he had spent half the morning watching Blue Chips on TV. All of us instantly agreed that Blue Chips should have been a great movie, but the plot just fell apart as the movie went along and that it is one of the few movies that, with a rewrite, would make a great remake. Our casting so far:

Big Baby Davis in the Shaq role,
    OJ Mayo in the Penny role
    JJ Redick in the token white boy role (instead of a farm kid, we decided he would be a suburban preppie whose family attends a fundamentalist church).
    Alec Baldwin as the sleazy booster
    Susan Sarandon as the coach's wife.

But we couldn't figure out who should play Nolte's role. Our best options were Billy Bob Thorton (think of Friday Night Lights Billy Bob, not Bad Santa Billy) or William H. Macy. Your thoughts?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If it's cast about 15 years from now, I'd go with Owen Wilson as the coach.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Christopher Walken.

4. tommyp

tommyp Member

Bobby Knight.

If you're casting real players, might as well cast a real coach.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

Only if he does his "Trivial Psychic" routine during games.

"You're going to drink that Gatorade too fast and choke"
    "WHAT?!?!?!"
    "Don't worry, you'll be fine."

or

"You're going to make a fucked up charging call on the next possession."

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How about not make another bad movie like Blue Chips

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Blue Chips was OK. Of course, I haven't seen it in 12 years. I thought Shaq was actually decent in it as the already world-weary stud recruit.

Of course, Blue Chips probably led to Kazaam, so damn you Blue Chips! Damn you to hell!!! :D :D

9. I would say Billy Bob Thornton. But I would also say, why bother?

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Who would play Bobby Knight in the remake? Fran Fraschilla???

Blue Chips is one of my 10 favorite movies ever. For a while there, a friend and I precluded everything with "We're going to go out for some hot wings and some drinks" like Nolte's assistant told Mary McDonnell.

Plus, the school's fight song was awesome.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The hell with J.J. Redick playing the hick kid. It's the vital that, a la the legendary Matt Nover, you cast that role with an Indiana player.

You could make it the foreign recruit: Ben Allen.

You could make it the player who reluctantly stood by a new coach: D.J. White.

You could make it the player who was going to play for the college no matter, coaching change or no: Errek Suhr.

Or you could do what I do, cast an ex-IU white boy hero player or ex-Knight assistnat that is nearly forgotten nationally, but that IU fans still love to hate ...

Step in front of the camera Luke Recker! They're ready for your close-up, Neil Reed! Get the faux-asswipe, Ron Felling!

12. PopeDirkBenedict

Actually, Bubs, we will have an Indiana player in the movie.

The role of the star player already on the team. The talented player that always makes bad decisions for a mediocre team: Bracey Wright.

Draft saved Draft deleted