1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cast your vote, win cash!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 22, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Los Angeles Ethics Commission, apparently serious, wants to look at incentivizing voters with raffles and other fun times.

"Maybe it's $25,000 maybe it's $50,000," said Commission President Nathan Hochman. "That's where the pilot program comes in -- to figure out what ... number and amount of prizes would actually get people to the voting box."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-panel-prizes-voters-20140814-story.html

Yeesh.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that the Los Angeles Ethics Commission has no idea what the word "Ethics" means.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's the dumbest thing I'll hear for a long time.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's actually more straightforward than handing out "walk around money" in poorer neighborhoods to try to induce people who are likely to vote for the candidates in favor of this idea to come on out. Kudos for the ingenious idea of shifting the cost of their bribes from themselves to the public.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

How is it any different than it is now?

Cast your vote to win welfare, unemployment and food stamps!!! :D

(Ducks)

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or, cast your vote to give your tax money to the billionaires while they fuck you in the ass!!! :D :D

7. RecoveringJournalist

I think they're hoping that adding the lottery aspect to voting will lead to a bigger minority turnout.

8. RecoveringJournalist

As a California native, this makes me think of "The Big Spin" that they used to do when they first started the lottery. You'd buy the scratch-offs and if you won $100, you went into the pool of people who would spin for between $50K and $1 million.

The majority of the contestants couldn't speak a lick of English. It was glorious unintentional comedy.

Draft saved Draft deleted