1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cast Iron cookware and cooking

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Dec 28, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Ragu, give a look to some of the recipes, from that same guy with the tortilla pizza, he has some interesting vegan options.

With Lent approaching, and when I switch to my meatless ways, there's some things I'd like to try but I want to hear what others had to say first.

The Food Lab: My 11 Favorite Recipes of the Year, 2014 | Serious Eats

The Vegan Nacho Cheese is the one I might be most interested in.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jay, I am not as concerned with trying to be vegan as I am with using natural ingredients and staying away from processed things. I eat dairy. We eat a ton of cheese. We came back from France after Christmas, and I think the drug sniffing dogs at customs passed out when they got near our suitcases.

I checked out his nacho cheese recipe. It loses me with the vegetable shortening and the almond milk.

I don't do nacho cheese, but if I was going to try it, I think I'd just melt some cheddar and play around with adding milk and / or butter, maybe some flour to get get the consistency? I dunno.

I won't use vegetable shortening. I find it nasty. And I don't care for almond milk -- at least the kind sold commercially, which is heavily processed and has added synthetic chemicals.

Draft saved Draft deleted