1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cast Iron cookware and cooking

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure what in the kitchen Ace. I'll ask my chef and get back to you :D

Ace likes this.
  2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Count me in as another advocate for Lodge skillets.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Just don't slide them around and you'll be fine. I've used mine on a ceramic cooktop for years now. No problems at all.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR's steaks come out perfectly every time. The nice thing about this method is that is smokes much less than any other stove/oven method which was a big issue before our landlord finally put venting in our kitchen.

Riptide likes this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, I still use it on the stovetop. Don't make a lot of stir fry though:

6. Boom_70

Well that rules out pop corn.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Mostly I fry in an All-Clad. Looked at some Lodges last month and they seem like a great deal. A friend taught me this summer how to clean a cast-iron and I'll probably get one soon. For me the appeal is you can get it as hot as you want to sear meat.

8. Boom_70

I would have figured that you fryed everything in a size 14 Allan Edmunds :D;):cool:

Frank_Ridgeway likes this.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Because everybody gives a shi* about what I'm cooking and eating: I love this stuff. Made some meatloaf and macaroni and cheese yesterday. Just got a dutch over, going to cook a chicken this week and my daughter sent me a pot roast recipe.

I also learned to make sure you include "recipes" when you google Dutch Oven.

YankeeFan and Vombatus like this.
  10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is cool, Jay. Pizza is my weakness in life, and I love making pizzas. I think I have gotten pretty good at it. We do one every two weeks or so. I'd do it every night if I could do it with guilt free. A big part of it for me is the dough, though, so I am usually less concerned with quick and easy. Even doing my own dough, making a pizza is never that time consuming. But I get wanting a quick pizza that you can do lickity split, after work, etc. I have done that skillet pizza, except with my own dough. That is one advantage of cast iron. Heat it up on the stove top and it gets really hot and stays hot. If you then get it into an oven cranked all the way up, you get as much heat to kiss a pizza as you are going to be able to get in a home kitchen. And that is what makes a pizza good. We also have a cast iron pan that is a little deeper than a skillet and I have used that to do a deep dish pizza. That was one of the things I was talking about when Moddy first asked about whether they are any good. It is one of the things we do with cast iron.

We also make our own tortillas when we do our homemade fajitas, for what it is worth. Usually with masa harina rather than wheat flour, because we prefer corn tortillas, but we do both. The store bought tortillas have a bunch of things in them that don't seem natural -- mostly chemical preservatives. That is the main reason we do it ourselves. It is also dirt cheap to make tortillas on your own and really easy. The tortills press we bought is made out of cast iron, too, by the way, and the thing weighs a ton. We keep it in a cabinet up high and I damn near get a hernia every time I have to bring it down.

12. Boom_70

Draft saved Draft deleted