1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cast Iron cookware and cooking

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

They make a great weapon though. My sister swung one at her then husband. Fortunately missed, else she might be in prison. But the gouge she put in the kitchen countertop was impressive. Looked like an axe had hit the formica. If that had been his skull, he woulda been a hurtin'.

If you have a combative spouse, I wouldn't recommend these things. They really should be regulated.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Iron skillets don't kill people. Angry wives do.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nope. Not the best heat distribution. But they get hotter and retain heat better, if that makes sense. Nope, once you season the thing, you don't want to use soap on it.

Crisco is the vegetable shortening. ... not the healthiest stuff. It comes in a can and looks like a whitish goo.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

You say that like whitish goo is a bad thing.

5. Vombatus

Whitish goo can get you into a lot of trouble.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So is oil better than Crisco for seasoning iron?
    I had not heard of using oil until this thread.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just made a tasty egg white/ veggie omelet on my $16 non- stick ceramic pan from
    BB&B. Used a little olive oil to saute the veggies. Bought 2 years ago. Cleaned
    with some soap and water out of box and since, after each use clean off with a bit of
    hot water and non abrasive brush.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Just use lard. We're all going to die one day anyway.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I love my cast iron skillets. The really great thing about cast iron is if needed, you can put them in the oven (like, if you're making frittatas. Heat all of your ingredients and egg in the skillet, turn the oven on broil and put it in for 10 or so minutes)

Get yourself a good bristle brush. As soon as you're done eating, take the empty skillet, turn your faucet on hot water, take your brush and just rinse it out. Use the brush to get the stuck on bits. Dry with a cloth. I always take a paper towel, put a little vegetable oil on it and apply to the inside and sides of the pan.

The main things are: don't let food sit in it for too long (like, overnight). NEVER use soap on it or put it in the dishwasher. As long as you clean it fairly quickly after use, you don't really need soap on it. And if you're being attacked during dinner, there's no better weapon against marauders. 8)

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Until I was in a Williams-Sonoma this weekend, I did not know a single skillet could cost $400. I did not know a skillet could cost $200. Before this weekend I did not know you could spend more than $100 on a skillet. Now I know this.

11. Vombatus

Before this weekend, I didn't know posts about Crisco could get deleted.

Then I looked up some board history, and I can see why.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is not complicated. Seasoning is simple. If seasoned properly, it's a quick clean with water. Hint: easier to clean when the pan is warm or even hot, rather than room temperature.

We live in an apartment so, here's how we cook a steak (gas stove)

Put cast iron pan (one with grill marks) in oven. Put one rack under the broker Turn up oven as high as it will go (in our case, 550F) When the oven reaches 550, turn on the broiler. Let the pan heat for five more minutes. Take out pan (use very good oven gloves), put in steak and stick under broiler. We leave our steaks in for 5 1/2 minutes for medium rare. Take out, let steak sit for five minutes. Slice and serve. Idiot proof. thanks to Mark Bittman for this idea

Draft saved Draft deleted