1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cast Away

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

What, do you have some inside info that he's dying or something?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Charlie Wilson's War was very good. Hoffman was tremendous as usual, and Hanks was very good.

If Julia Roberts never works again, I would be very happy.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember thinking when I first saw the movie that FedEx even dicked Hanks over on the flight back to the U.S. -- no ice in the soft drinks or something -- and the first thing he would have done upon landing would be to lawyer up to the end of the world.

I wouldn't rate it as an all-time great movie, but it was interesting and enjoyable.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All the more amazing, because I feel pretty damn confident that FedEx paid a pretty penny for what was essentially movie-long product placement.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read somewhere it was over $25 million. Wilson paid something insane as well...

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, let me get this straight ...

We have an NFL team now

And it's in NASHVILLE?

(That may have been a throwaway line for people who grew up in the other 49 states, but I laughed out loud in the theatre.)

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Like my brother-in-law once said, only Tom Hanks could make a volleyball a sympathetic movie character.

Love this movie.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Overrated, clap, clap, clap, clap, overrated.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Dude who writes ESPN's Big 12 blog had Tom Cruise as the lead actor in "Cast Away." I e-mailed him and pointed out that it was, you know, Tom HANKS, in that move (and asked if the WWL had any editors at all). It was changed the next time I looked.

Anyway, I feel about "Cast Away" like I feel about "Saving Private Ryan": meh.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I can't believe no one mentioned the inside Wilson story....Hanks' wife is Rita Wilson.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Well then ... he definitely fucked the volleyball.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

So you're saying he was only interested in the ball because of its air bladder?

Draft saved Draft deleted