1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cast Away

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Aug 3, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Especially if Lari White is going to be there. Hubba hubba.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's not nitpicking.
    There's a difference between Castaway and Cast Away, subtly shown in the movie.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I went on this rant last night, and I'll say it here again.

FedEx, your employer, calls you at the 11th hour on Christmas Eve to go on some cross-Pacific flight. You go, plane crashes, you wash on up on a fucking island for four years, bury a pilot, knock out a tooth, learn to spear fish, make rope out of saplings and a sturdy big toe, make fire, befriend a fucking volleyball, carve a calendar in a rock, find half a port-a-pody, build a raft, get past the breakers, lose your port-a-pody, lose your volleyball, give up hope, get rescued and find out that the love of your life went on to marry another man.

After ALL of that, the company that started you on this fucked up journey that landed you in the middle of the ocean springs for a fucking PLATTER OF SEAFOOD.

A better ending would've been Hanks telling FedEx to go fuck itself at first sight of the crabs legs, kidnap his ex-wife and end with the two of them reinacting the Kama Sutra on the top of the Cherokee.

But that's just me.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For all of the crap Hollywood gets, people like Hanks should be applauded for taking something like this on. No way this movie gets made without him and he used his clout to make a pretty deep movie.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Absolutely. On its surface, this script is a non-starter. Only someone with Hanks' juju makes it happen.

This is one of those movies I'll watch every single time it's on. If I catch it on the onscreen guide, you can cancel my appointments for the next three hours.

Also, I didn't think the volleyball was that hot. But that's just me.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Seen that one a couple of times already, though.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've long wondered if, after the dismal flop that was Joe Vs. The Volcano (which I found entertaining despite its suckitude), Hanks pined for a second chance at a lost on a deserted island movie.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Yes.

9. Big Hanks fan. The guy is a hell of an actor.

Minorthread jack: I watched Charlie Wilson's War over the weekend. I had been sitting on it for about two weeks (from Netflix). I was lukewamr about watching it.
    I really enjoyed it, mainly on the strength of Hanks and PS Hoffman. Very enjoyable movie.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Really, it was Hanks final great performance.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

???

Back on Cast Away, I love the Easter egg on the DVD that tells what was in the package he delivered.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Please share.

Draft saved Draft deleted