1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cast Away

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The volleyball couldn't have offered consent, could it? If that's the case, shouldn't this movie be viewed quite differently? I mean, he's no longer a FedEx hero, a poster boy for the dedicated mail carrier, who will stop at nothing to make sure his customers are happy. No. Now he's a sick, twisted, sporting-equipment rapist. Maybe we were all better off with him on the island.

Of course, maybe Wilson's a tramp. Who knows?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe you're misinterpreting Wilson's willingness and right, to show its sexual side. Just because Wilson doesn't wear clothes doesn't mean it was asking for it.

I'm sort of down with your first point. Perhaps Tom Hanks is a serial volleyball rapist.

Then again, if Tom Hanks was crazy from malnutrition and loneliness, maybe he thought Wilson was asking, lo, demanding it from him? Perhaps in his heat-fried mind, he thought acquiesing to Wilson's slutty whims was akin to rape, but a rape he could not, or would not, resist. A sort of dom-sub volleyball-lording-over-man type of thing? If that's the case, than perhaps Wilson is the evil here.

Nah, we're overthinking it. I think Hanks just wanted to do the nasty with a volleyball.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, Wilson was cute.

4. Wilson was definitely asking for it. You see that pout? The way he flashed his airhole? He never wore anything in the film.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wilson was a slut, but you know who might be hittable? Steve McQueen's baseball in The Great Escape.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love this place.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I sure didn't expect this when I clicked the Cast Away thread.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought that movie was wayyyyyyyy too long and way overrated. Hanks was superb. But the actual movie was just ok.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I really liked it. Surprised Hanks didn't win. I wouldn't have been heartbroken if they trimmed 15-20 mins though.

10. KG

KG Active Member

When Wilson was floating away, and he was calling out to him, it totally tore me up. In part because I'd been tricked into feeling like Wilson was "really" a person, and also because I couldn't possibly imagine how alone he felt with Wilson gone.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's OK, Eva Mendes got stranded shortly thereafter. Then Wilson was deflated for different exigencies

12. KG

KG Active Member

I've got the coordinates, and I'm headed that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted