1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cassel traded to Chiefs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Oz has perfectly summed up my feelings with his last two posts. Well said, sir.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So what situation do the Patriots find themselves if the Chiefs do not make this trade?

Why does any team make this trade to NE now?

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Not to mention Chan Gailey completley revamped the KC offense in an effort to give Thigpen a chance to move the chains. Lots of short passes, a chance to get in rhythm and get his completion percentage up. And he still only completed 53 pct of his throws.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because if you need a quarterback, you need a quarterback.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An NFL starting quarterback is surely worth a second-round pick. Even an average QB, and Cassel might prove to be better than that. Yes, he had an excellent offense around him, but he played a full season, minus six minutes, and went 11-5.
    This is hardly a risk-free deal for New England. Brady is PROBABLY going to come back as good as ever. That's a big bet to put on an adverb.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And now they have one who was propped up by the system he played in. They traded a 2nd-round pick for the right to overpay him.

Sorry, the Chiefs' offense around Thigpen was not nearly as quarterback-friendly as what Cassel had with the Patriots.

7. 93Devil

No way do they pull this deal without some information on Brady that has not been made public yet.

They are not that stupid.

So what is the exact number on KCs cap right now for Cassel?

8. Michael_ Gee

The Chiefs concluded Cassel was enough of a better quarterback than Thigpen it was worth a second-round pick.
    Based on the EVIDENCE, that's a thoroughly defensible decision. It might crap out, but what we know says it has a better chance of giving them wins.
    When you find a quarterback who doesn't do better when he plays for an offense with talent, let me know. I want to be his agent.

9. Michael_ Gee

93, the Pats can KNOW what the doctors tell them. Brady said the doctors told him all is well and he'll be as good as new at training camp.
    That's not the same thing as knowing he'll be 100 percent Tom Brady when he does play, or how well the recovered knee will take its next hit.
    Football's Second Law of Motion states that a body once injured tends to return to injured.

10. 93Devil

OK, if the Chiefs can get Cassel to a moderate cap hit, then I agree with the trade.

Well, actually, I would have not offered anything higher than a third.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Chiefs have $50 mil+ in cap space. Even if they don't negotiate a long-term deal (which I'm sure will happen) they'll be fine.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Oz: Word.

oop: How so? They switched to a freaking spread because Thigpen was so awful in a standard pro set.

Draft saved Draft deleted