1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cassel traded to Chiefs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 28, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

hey, i'll take what i can get. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think the Patriots would have cut Vrabel (a la McGinest, Colvin) if they hadn't traded him.

This frees up cap room, gets them a valuable pick in the beginning of the second round (which is far cheaper than firsts, but there will still be plenty of quality), and I've heard that Belichick is quite high on Kevin O'Connell. I don't think they had any leverage because you can't pay two QBs that much $ and Pioli knew that.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Assuming anyone would want him, which I don't think anyone does.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Agreed. I think KC will soon find that they got a lot less than they think they're getting -- a linebacker on the downside and a QB who will probably never duplicate the season he had last year.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm spacing the name of the horseshit QB the Dolphins gave up a No. 2 for a few years back. The guy was a nothing. Schaub had the benefit of never being tested because it prevented a team from truly scrutinizing him and as stupid as it is to say, added to his value.

I'm guessing there are a lot of teams who thought Cassel was a product of the New England system and wouldn't give up a No. 1 for him.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Chiefs are also reportedly interested in TJ Houshmandzadeh - or however you spell his name. If KC gets him, get a decent O-line, you'd have another high-flying offense with Cassel throwing to Houshyourdaddy, D-Bowe and Tony G.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You might be overrating Thigpen a little here.

Cassel topped 103 in quarterback rating seven times last season; Thigpen did it twice.
    Cassel completed 63.4 percent of his passes; Thigpen completed just 54.8 percent.

They're both seventh-round picks, but having watched both last year, Cassel looks like the better quarterback. And before it comes up, yes I do know Cassel threw to Moss and Welker -- Thigpen had his own All-Pro with Gonzalez. Thigpen could do well in spots, but I'm sure the Chiefs won't mind having him sit and learn in case something happens with Cassel down the line.

Re: Vrabel, his best years are behind him, yes. But that doesn't mean he can't help the Chiefs on defense. A second-round pick to fill starting spots at quarterback and linebacker is well worth it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Dolphins have traded second-round picks for AJ Feeley and Daunte Culpepper fresh off a brutal knee injury. It's a safe bet this trade will pay off better for the Chiefs than those two did.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

How does Houshmandzadeh average only 11.4 yards per catch over his career?

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

A.J. Feeley is the guy you're looking for, I think. (I'd originally typed Scott Mitchell, but that trade went the other way.) Rob Johnson is another one, and a painful memory for Bills fans ...

Edit: missed your update, Mizz.

Elliotte, Housh was Palmer's go-to guy, doing a lot of the third-down dirty work. If you pulled the pxp stats, you'd probably find a lot of short passes his way while Ocho worked further down the field.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Brady is healthy, the Pats are fucking crippled.

Now, they have a healthy Brady (don't tell me for one second he isn't ready to go, the Pats have never been honest on health) and four fucking picks in the first two rounds. Christ.

I said over and over, every team in the league have reversed Darrius Miles this damn thing and let the Pats eat that contract.

The Chiefs made out in the deal? How many FAs could that cap hit have paid for in the next couple of weeks. And Vrabel is f'ing 34 or something like that. The New England fountain of youth on that defense might not extend to Kansas City. Who knows?

Jesus.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're missing the point ...

1. The Patriots never tagged Cassel to keep him, they tagged him to trade him for a pick or picks.
    2. Vrabel is a bridge, short-term relief for a defense that needs it. There's no longterm commitment.
    3. You don't win in the NFL by signing free agents to big money. You win by being smart with your money.

Draft saved Draft deleted